Security System Using Vera or VeraLite Feasibilty

BraveSirRobbin

I have an application for a friend where a cheap and self monitored security system is needed that is totally wireless.  At first I was thinking about the 2Gig, but that is pretty much tied to GSM (although they do make a POTS interface for it) and monitoring contract via Alarm.com for any type of notifications (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

So this option was out as my friend did not want a monthly cell phone bill as well as a monitoring company bill.

So, I was thinking about other systems, but ran into the problems mainly dealing with expense once you get into the wireless sensor aspects.

He doesn't really care about getting a 'true' security system (we should probably call this a 'notification' system instead) and I was thinking about possibly using the VeraLite with Z-Wave door/window and motion sensors and a small remote.  I also noticed you can get a strobe/siren Z-Wave enabled as well!

The only thing I could see wrong with this plan are the following:

1. How will the person easily arm/disarm (with the corresponding entry/exit delays) near the entry/exit doors?  A Z-Wave enabled keypad would be ideal I'm thinking.

2. How would a cut off alarm timer work and how would one setup logic for burglar notifications (as far as logic to the 'armed' status of the VeraLite)?

3.  Anything else I can not think of that might create a problem (other than the obvious power failures, etc...)

I guess I'm mainly wondering how one would setup an armed status in the logic and have that work with a reasonable entry/exit timer.  Is the logic capable without writing Luna code?

I'm also open to other suggestions as well if this idea is totally non-realistic.

Now, before we get into the entire UL listed, insurance, code, etc... discussions these are off the table as my friend realizes these expectations are null and void and accepts those consequences! ;)

Thanks as always for any advice!

BSR

Without looking into it, wouldn't a simple Honeywell or DSC system be better for this? You could tie in a Vera for notifications and then use that to grow into Z-Wave.

I am doing something similar currently with a DSC system.  I am actually doing a pretty decent security system (decided to wire most sensors, didnt want to have to worry about changing batteries) and going to connect that to a pc running one of the major automation software packages.  Should allow me a very inexpensive, very scale-able system for pretty minimum upfront cost.  Hopefully adding a zwave door lock soon so I can see who is coming and going.

a good way along, message me if you have any questions

I should probably clarify.  I don't want any external computer interface for running HA type software, but would like an Ethernet interface interface so he would be able to connect via iPhone and office PC.

I never priced out a DSC, just assumed by the time you added the wireless receiver card, Ethernet interface, and wireless sensors it would be out of the price range (way above a 2Gig), thus the reason for going with the VeraLite.

Whats wrong with 2GIG then? It seems to be designed exactly for your problem and you can add a POTS card for under $15.

picta said:
Whats wrong with 2GIG then? It seems to be designed exactly for your problem and you can add a POTS card for under $15.
 I would not be able to remote in with that right?  Excuse the ignorance, but I'm used to the Elk E-Net interface (and not POTS).

I believe the Elkguard does a lot, or offers a lot of what you may be looking at, but monitoring is going to be needed. Not as sleek as a 2Gig.

Nice find... it's better than our XEP's!

-an unlimited amount of email or SMS addresses
-New "Smart Phone" optimized version of the ESP portal. Works with iPhone, Android, and Blackberry
-128-bit encryption

Who knows about stability though.

As for "keypads" for the Vera, you can just install HomeBuddy or the iPhone equivalent on his Smartphone.  

I often heard that some unauthorized people put hidden camera or bugs in someone's home. Is there any home security system or bug detector can deal with it?

You can do all of this with a Vera. I have one, and it's pretty awesome as far as flexibility. Not perfect, but still awesome. You will probably have to write some Lua, but Lua is easy, and the people on the forum will actually write it for you, so will MiCasaVerde employees.

Back