Shielding Recommendations between Low Voltage and Power Lines

Ed Nelson

Does anyone know if there are any shielding techniques that can be used if you find that (for instance) your Touchpad is going to be on the same stud as 4 power lines going into a quadbang receptical. My Low Voltage (CAT5) lines never run in parallel to the power lines, but the back of the Nuvo Touch Screen will be adjacent to the wall switch lines.

I'm hoping for some sort of flexible rubber/plastic tubing. (btw, I have arranged to pre-mount future TSs and the electrician will wire around me.

Thanks in advance.

- Ed

Does anyone know if there are any shielding techniques that can be used if you find that (for instance) your Touchpad is going to be on the same stud as 4 power lines going into a quadbang receptical. My Low Voltage (CAT5) lines never run in parallel to the power lines, but the back of the Nuvo Touch Screen will be adjacent to the wall switch lines.

I'm hoping for some sort of flexible rubber/plastic tubing. (btw, I have arranged to pre-mount future TSs and the electrician will wire around me.

Thanks in advance.

- Ed
Can you at least run the low voltage on the other side of the stud, then just drill a hole to get to the other side. At least you would have a little distance and then cross the power line at a right angle.

A little distance will go a long ways with shielding (not a linear relationship, matter of fact you "square" the distance number for a shielding calculation).

Also, FYI, plastic tubing may prevent "mechanical" damage, but metal is needed for any type of noise shielding.

Let's see what others say as this is not my specialty.

Can you at least run the low voltage on the other side of the stud, then just drill a hole to get to the other side. At least you would have a little distance and then cross the power line at a right angle.

A little distance will go a long ways with shielding (not a linear relationship, matter of fact you "square" the distance number for a shielding calculation).

Also, FYI, plastic tubing may prevent "mechanical" damage, but metal is needed for any type of noise shielding.

Let's see what others say as this is not my specialty.

I agree with BSR, that you should try to run it on the other side of the stud. This should be sufficient distance. Also, he is correct about the plastic tubing or conduit; protects cables, but does not shield from noise.

If you have a high quality cable, and are able to put it on the other side of the stud, you should be in good shape.

. . . the back of the Nuvo Touch Screen will be adjacent to the wall switch lines. . .
Hi, Ed, I'm not familliar with the Nuvo, but:

If the touchscreen uses a digital interface such as RS485, RS422 or RS232, I would not worry at all. On the other hand, if audio or video is routed through the touchscreen, I would worry a lot.

Back