Simply AUtomated UPB Dimmers

mcascio

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Simply AUtomated line of UPB dimmers and switches.

Wondering if there are any differences between the SImply Automated and PCS UPB switches.

The PCS ones seem to be a lot more expensive.

Thanks for any comments.

If I am not mistaken, Simply Automated licensed the technology from PCS, so it should be the same, but hopefully someone with more knowledge can confirm this.

Correct. Simply Automated licensed the UPB technology from PCS, so the two brands should have complete interoperability. However, Simply Automated is doing it's own manufacturing (or OEMing it from someone OTHER than PCS), thus the difference in pricing. All the feedback I have heard to this point is that the SA equipment is excellent quality. Too short of a timeframe to know if they will have the long-term reliability of PCS, but at this point I don't see any problems.

Thanks folks.

I was aware that they were licensing the same technology. But I imagine it's possible the switches may operate slightly different.

You know, the old true rocker issues and things like that.

Also, since it is different manufacturing, I imagine it's possible one may be more durable than the other.

Just wondering if there are any blaring obvious reasons not to go with the cheaper of the two.

It does seem the PCS has more types of switches at first glance.

Anyone know if the two will work in conjunction with the same controller?

Yes, I agree with jlehnert's comments - there is no reason not to go with the Simply-Automated products. It's definately one of our fastest moving lines now and to date, we haven't had ANY returns.

I have been considering using UPB switches for my new house (currently have nothing in it) with an automation controller (Stargate, HomeVision, etc). I've only heard good things about UPB - except the expense (excellent signal reliability, etc)

My question is will this work with X10 too? I think I want to use the X10 enabled Dual Motion Floodlights (Dual Motion Floodlights) for outside lighting. This means I would need X10 as well as UPB.

Is there another recommendation how to accomplish this? Only other way I can come up with to do it is to use dedicated outdoor motion sensors tied to the automation controller, and use it to switch on regular floodlights tied to UPB switches.

thanks

Those floodlights aren't even compatible with fresh air lol, they are very flaky, even with a good coupler and a clean X10 environment. I am about to replace mine with regular ones until I can find a better solution.

E is absolutely correct about the x10 floodlights. Total POJ. About the only motion/flood combo I've found to be half decent is one from Lowes that was around $80. No X10 on it though. I plan to go the motion detector connected to the automation system controlling the light route, but just haven't got around to it. I have a couple of Optex LX-40's I'm going to use for the detctors.

Getting to the second question, there is no problem combining x-10 and UPB. Basically, think 2 different complete systems that interact only at the controller. You would need one interface for x-10 (ie a CM11) and another for UPB. You would not be the only person doing this. It's hard to beat $6.95 X10 lamp modules for turning on all the window candles during Christmas without going room to room.

The SAI switches are excellent quality; their US11 1000 watt dimmers also cost about the same retail as a Switchlinc 2380 2-way. I've got three currently in my hybrid system and plan to add many more in the near future. The UPB status report facility make these far superior to the switchlinc's though since a link command (simular to a switchlinc scene in its most common use) can cause all affected devices to report their status. This keeps your automation software in perfect sync with the actual condition of the switches themselves. Additionally, these switches can be programmed to do different functions for double tap actions thus giving you the capability to program a whole new world of useful autonomous capability into the system. Double tapping off on a switch by the door to turn all lights in the house off is a great example of this feature. No automated software intervention would be required to perform this function btw.

Also: there's only one cavaet concerning hybrid systems featuring both UPB and X10. You cannot combine devices from both systems into the same group. This means that two commands need to be issued with the resultant axiom being that a combination of X10 and UPB lighting canl not turned off or on simultaneously. I ran into this one when I changed out the bedroom light switch to test UPB's reliability on long runs from the opposite phase. As I was changing over the bedroom lighting macro which was hawkeye triggered, I noticed that the overhead and bedside table lamps were part of a light group. DOH! I had forgotten that there was an old X10 lamp module behind the bed controlling those. The whole lighting effect was ruined when I had to add an additional command to turn on the X10 module. I ended up purchasing a UPB lamp module and creating a UPB link to solve it.

kwilcox said:
You cannot combine devices from both systems into the same group. This means that two commands need to be issued with the resultant axiom being that a combination of X10 and UPB lighting canl not turned off or on simultaneously.
Is this a HS issue?

Technically, its a HCA issue since that's the software I'm using. HCA's command pipeline is single threaded so even though there are different output modules that could theoretically send simultaneous X10 and UPB commands it queues them. Multi-threading is difficult; I would tend to wonder if any of the current software out there does this. Here's why: when you think about it, unless a special pipeline command is set up, the mere process of handling sequential commands in the lighting macro would cause this situation. Hopefully in the future we'll see this capability but I'm not holding my breath since the amount of coding necessary would be large compared to the relatively minor situation it would resolve.

I'd love to hear if anybody knows if other software such as HS can pull this off because it would be a pretty impressive feat IMO.

kwilcox said:
I'd love to hear if anybody knows if other software such as HS can pull this off because it would be a pretty impressive feat IMO.
Hmm... How about this:

If you issue an X10 scene first, and have approx. 3 second ramp rate on your lights, and issue the UPB link immediately afterward.

This should have all the lights fading at the same time. It's probably as close as you can get to simultaneous without threaded software.

Back