SleepTracker watch review

I would assume that's how it works. I really would love one of these, help me out with my waking up issues lol. Too bad it is so expensive.

edit: the comments posted in response to that article are rather interesting.

They claim the watch monitors you to see when you are in an "almost awake" state and then they wake you up. The site for the watch explains this state. I liked this, quoted from the FAQ:
Almost-awake moments occur throughout a night's sleep. Sometimes an almost-awake moment is triggered by an outside influence like a loud noise or a dog jumping on the bed, but usually these moments happen around REM sleep
So this means that if something wakes you up, the watch will sense this and wake you up with a few quiet beeps. I don't mean to disparage the watch or the manufacturer, I just thought this was amusing.

My guess is that the watch may just be monitoring motion. If it detects motion (which is one of the signs of "almost awake" they discuss), then it beeps to wake you up.

{edit}
I just read the comments on the review site. One of them says that it can't monitor motion because people move around a lot while sleeping. That's true (at least for many people), but I don't think it eliminates monitoring motion. The watch is set to wake you up when it detects the "almost awake" state within 10 to 30 minutes of your requested wake-up time. So it doesn't have to do anything at all until that time period. Then if it detects motion, it just wakes you up. If you move around at other times during the night, the watch will ignore it.

Note that this would work without learning anything about your sleep patterns (that they claim it learns). I don't know if waking you up when you move will leave you wide awake and refreshed like they claim. It may be easy to implement and test this using a motion detector: If motion detected and time is after 6:00 AM and time is before 6:30 AM, fling sleeper ("almost awake" sleeper) out of bed.

From the comments, it looks like it does do the job tho. If it is just motion based, then the motion sensor idea is a very good one!

Well after reading the comments here I went and Googled the issue of the various stages of sleep. It's hard to imagine how they achieve monitoring these stages by either heart rate or blood oxygen level (maybe temp of the skin?). Anyway, I'm "almost awake" nearly every work night" The thing would probably be beeping at me on the early end of the wake time every morning. Interesting stuff just the same.

smee said:
My guess is that the watch may just be monitoring motion.
From the interview:
Can you explain what the SLEEPTRACKER is actually monitoring while it is being worn?

SLEEPTRACKER has an accelerometer that sense brief periods of moment (sic) that correlate to lighter stages of sleep.
I'm assuming "moment" => "movement".
:lol:

Want to build your own? There are relatively inexpensive accelerometers out there. Just add some processing power. One example:
Memsic Accelerometer from www.parallax.com

I am a little disappointed that it isn't more than an accelerometer, I might as well just wear a watch with a RFID tag since they seem to be sensitive to motion as well.

The accelerometer can be much, much more sensitive than the RFID. I'm pretty sure that the motion the accelerometer can detect would be well within the normal variation of the RFID signal.

Imagine rotation your wrist. The accelerometer will pick that up easily. The RFID probably won't.

From some of the RFID posts I have read so far, it looks like they are really sensitive enough to pick up tiny motions like that, However, the possible RF interference might drown out those tiny variations, so you are right, an accelerometer is better. It's time for someone to review this watch ;)

Back