Smarthome INSTEON Alliance Passes 300-Member Mark

electron

Administrator
Staff member
IRVINE, Calif. --(Business Wire)-- Nov. 1, 2005 Smarthome(tm), the authority in electronic home improvement and automation, today announced that its INSTEON Alliance, established in May 2005, has passed the 300-member mark. INSTEON Alliance members, who range from grass roots developers to design engineers at Fortune 500 companies, develop best-in-class home control networking products using the INSTEON technology protocol.

The INSTEON Alliance community includes the top names in technology, such as Somfy, First Alert, Maya, Integration Associates, Elk, Visonic, Universal Electronics, Exceptional Innovation and others.

Read the rest of this press release

Addressing everything from lighting systems and security, to home entertainment, window treatments and faucets, Alliance members are embedding INSTEON's powerful dual-band (powerline and radio frequency) communications technology into their products, ensuring many core home systems are networked and working together. Both the technology and the Alliance guarantee that all INSTEON-enabled products are interoperable and easy to use -- for both developers and end-user homeowners.

"Our customer-centric approach and extensive knowledge of the market contributed to the design elements that has made INSTEON a force in the market and lead to its remarkable adoption and rapidly growing INSTEON Alliance membership," said Rajeev Kapur, Smarthome's vice president, sales and marketing. "The flexibility, cost efficiencies and robust dual-band nature of the INSTEON technology platform are meeting the needs of an enthusiastic and growing INSTEON developer community."

Three levels of INSTEON Alliance membership are available: level one membership (for the developers kit -- $99), level two membership ($250) and level three membership ($2,000). Level two and three memberships are able to influence the direction, development and marketing of INSTEON.

"Smarthome made it so easy to join the Alliance and start using the INSTEON protocol that we were able to jump-start our participation in this rapidly growing market and quickly initiate the development of new INSTEON-enabled products," said Eric Eichensehr, CTO/Partner, Exceptional Innovation, LLC. "Compared to other home control networking technologies in the market INSTEON had the lowest cost of entry to initiate the development cycle; that, combined with the flexibility and depth of the technology, made it an obvious choice."

Membership in the Alliance provides insights into the INSTEON community, along with maximum industry exposure of member companies and their products. Alliance members are invited to participate in members-only forums and events throughout the year. INSTEON websites, press releases and trade show pavilions will also provide new avenues of promotion for Alliance members. Members will have the opportunity to leverage an extensive retail channel, working with Smarthome to place Alliance members' INSTEON products on INSTEON.net, Smarthome.com, Amazon.com and Home Depot.com or in the Smarthome catalog.

Smarthome will be showcasing its products at EHX Nov 9-11, 2005, and at CES Jan 5-8, 2006. The INSTEON Alliance will be offering a series of training seminars and demonstrations (online and live) in the months ahead, as well as launching its inaugural developer's conference in the spring of 2006.

About INSTEON

The new standard in home control technologies, INSTEON delivers a dual-band (powerline and radio frequency) mesh networking technology optimized for home management and control. Simple, affordable and reliable, INSTEON links together core home systems such as lighting, security, comfort control, consumer electronics, appliances and safety sensors for remote monitoring and control. All INSTEON devices are peers, meaning that any device can transmit, receive and repeat other messages, without requiring a master controller or complex routing software. Adding more devices makes an INSTEON network more powerful, by virtue of a simple protocol for communication retransmissions and retries.

About Smarthome

Founded in 1992, Smarthome Inc. is the world's leading authority on electronic home improvement and automation. Smarthome is organized into three divisions: Smarthome.com, "the Amazon of electronic home improvement" (Newsweek, 2004); Smarthome Design, creators of best-in-class home control products; and Smarthome Technology, the pioneering architects of INSTEON. Smarthome's INSTEON Alliance offers a focused community for developers to incorporate the INSTEON standard into their products. Smarthome products are sold to an international customer base via the Web, phone and retail outlets, as well as to professional dealers and installers through SmarthomePro. The company's online catalog can be found at http://www.smarthome.com. Information regarding INSTEON can be found at http://www.insteon.net. Smarthome is headquartered in Irvine, Calif.

O'Leary and Partners for Smarthome Inc.
Michelle Laird, 503-705-4577
[email protected]
or
Jennifer McLean, 949-224-4027
[email protected]

The more companies developing Insteon products the better. Yes, it's hype, but at least Insteon works everytime. I would rather see people jumping on that bandwagon than the UPB sinkhole. $39 Insteon switches or $74 UPB switches, is this a trick question? :)

But keep in mind that everyone who bought the $99 development kit is included in the "300 Members".

That's even better. They are opening up Insteon to everyone. Smart! (no pun intended). No one is going to question investing $99 for a kit that could return much more to the developer/company. The $250 level is intriguing to me personally. :p

TCassio said:
Boy what hype. We still don't have software to truly make the stuff automated. :D
What Hype? It is a press release. :D

I am sure some software will be released in the near future (HAL support is in alpha right now). I followed the link to check out the page like every major software vendor's logo is on the page. I am in the same boat, sooner rather than later. :p

dwarf said:
I am in the same boat, sooner rather than later.
Same boat? You seem to be an insider with a hidden agenda. If you have connections, it is only fair to us to be upfront about them. Pros, vendors, merchants, etc. are welcome here, but please don't keep secrets.

WayneW,

Sometimes you have no choice but to keep secrets. Not defending dwarf but stating why some people can't release some information.

dwarf it would be nice if you gave us an introduction to your self, though.

but at least Insteon works everytime
Compared to what, X10? I think I would go out on a limb and say UPB is just as reliable. Only time will tell, when there are many real world installs, but I have already seen Insteon miss a beat.

I would rather see people jumping on that bandwagon than the UPB sinkhole.  $39 Insteon switches or $74 UPB switches, is this a trick question?
Sinkhole? I think that's a bit harsh. Tell all the pros and dist's like AO they are wasting their time with UPB and I think you'd hear a bit of a different story. There is nothing technically in Insteon vs UPB to indicate UPB is a 'sinkhole'. As for the pricing, that is pure and simple marketing. How many times have we seen TNG come out and drastically lower their prices to gain market share? And in many cases fail. If Ryobi came out with a nice new drill similar in capability to the Dewalt at half the price, do you think Dewalt would be in trouble? There are plenty of DIY guys using those Dewalts and majority of pros would not give them up regardless of price. The price alone in the short term is not going to determine the winner or loser. Who's to say SH doesn't jack up their price with a 'new and improved' model, or SA or PCS doesn't drop their price to compete better, with or without better economies of scale. Only time will tell, but I believe both will survive. Assuming relatively close technical capability I believe the long term less expensive solution will win over _most of_ the DIY market , and the pro market will be determined by the pros - based upon a lot of factors.

Sometimes you have no choice but to keep secrets. Not defending dwarf but stating why some people can't release some information.
True. but if there is a secret that needs to be kept, then _keep it_ and do not throw out subtle hints. Most people hate that when little hints are thrown out, then when they ask for more detail are simply told 'oh, I can't tell you - it's a secret'.

True, mControl does support Insteon, but in a very limited capacity. And besides mControl will only run on Windows Media Center and WinXP pro. With limited control of Insteon and the limited number of OS's it will run on does not really make mControl a viable platform, IMHO.

TCassio said:
True, mControl does support Insteon, but in a very limited capacity. And besides mControl will only run on Windows Media Center and WinXP pro. With limited control of Insteon and the limited number of OS's it will run on does not really make mControl a viable platform, IMHO.
You haven't been keeping up with the times. The way I read it, mControl now works on XP home and reflects device status provided you properly link devices in both directions.

In addition, Automated Living is now circulating a beta version of Hal 2000 with Insteon support. Homeseer can't be far behind.

Back