SmartLabs introduces ALL-Link

electron

Administrator
Staff member
SANTA CLARA, Calif., May 2 /PRNewswire/ -- SmartLabs, Inc.(tm), the world's leading authority in home control and automation, today introduced ALL-Link(tm) interoperability for its INSTEON(tm) wireless home control technology at its inaugural INSTEON Development and Technology Conference. ALL-Link allows any INSTEON-enabled controller to operate any other device in an INSTEON home control network -- the only home control technology with such total interoperability.

SmartLabs' INSTEON technology provides a simple, affordable and reliable means to link core home systems such as lighting, security, comfort control, consumer electronics, appliances and safety sensors for remote monitoring and control. The INSTEON protocol is a dual-mesh (power line and radio frequency) networking technology that simulcasts commands with all devices acting as repeaters, thus greatly improving the reliability and quality of the signal.

ALL-Link allows all INSTEON-enabled controllers to operate any existing or future INSTEON device because every INSTEON device has the capability to memorize its own state. With ALL-Link, INSTEON controllers do not have to know which command codes guide particular INSTEON devices. Other home automation technologies require their controllers to be pre-programmed with the relevant commands for a specific device before they can control that device.

Read the rest of this press release

"Guaranteed interoperability makes INSTEON future-proof," says SmartLabs CTO Dan Cregg. "New devices can easily be added to the network at any time. Product and application developers don't need to worry about compatibility with other devices' commands or future functionality because everything will conform and sync automatically."

Another key attribute of ALL-Link technology is that all devices respond to control commands at the same time. This means that with the touch of a single button all the actions that make up a predefined home-control scene (dimming the lights, lowering the blinds and turning on the stereo) will take place instantly and simultaneously rather than one after another.

"INSTEON is the only protocol that offers this functionality," says Cregg. "These two critical ALL-Link features -- interoperability and instant response -- will enable INSTEON to serve as the foundation for a wide variety of future applications that we can't even imagine today. Competing technologies offer only point solutions, but thanks to ALL-Link, INSTEON can be the platform for total home control."

For more information, please visit SmartLabs at the inaugural INSTEON Development and Technology Conference and CONNECTIONS event May 2 through 4, 2006, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, Calif.

About INSTEON

SmartLabs' INSTEON, the new technology standard in home control networking, uses a simple, low-cost combination of wireless and power line communications to link core home systems such as lighting, security, comfort control, consumer electronics, appliances and safety sensors, allowing them to be controlled or monitored from anywhere in the world. INSTEON-enabled products can also bridge to other networks, such as Wi-Fi LANs, the Internet and telephony and entertainment distribution systems, allowing INSTEON to serve as the foundation for a very robust integrated home control environment. The INSTEON Alliance offers a focused community for developers to incorporate the INSTEON standard into their products.

About SmartLabs, Inc.

Founded in 1992, SmartLabs, Inc. is the world's leading authority on home automation and home control. SmartLabs is organized into three divisions: SmartLabs Technology, the pioneering architects of INSTEON wireless home control technology; SmartLabs Design, creators of best in class home control products, and Smarthome Direct, which includes Smarthome.com, "the Amazon of home automation" (Newsweek, 2004). SmartLabs products are sold to an international customer base through retail outlets and distributors. The company's online catalog can be found at www.smarthome.com; information regarding INSTEON can be found at www.insteon.net. SmartLabs is headquartered in Irvine, Calif.

I'm failing to see what is new here? I thought that was the concept between linking in general. The other device would understand up/down on/off, double tap, etc and implement it's own understanding. Has anything changed or been added with this announcement?

Am I missing something on this one, or is this primarily a marketing press release (and naming the linking process)?

Don't get me wrong, I have Insteon implemented myself, so this is not a criticism, I'm just trying to understand what they are hyping.

I'm not sure either. It's doesn't appear to be a physical piece of hardware or software and I don't think it is a change to the protocol. It looks like more of a concept or abstract intention. Perhaps they are saying that they are going to patent the "idea" of interoperability.

I think the marketing department felt they needed to make some sort of announcement at their inaugural INSTEON Development and Technology Conference.

You would think they could come up with a better name than "ALL-Link".

Back