SMC & Audio

drvnbysound

I've wired ~10 SMCs, but have typically constrained them to Category, coaxial, and/or intrusion types (22/2, 22/4, 18/2) of wire. I'm coming up on a couple weeks of vacation and am looking for solutions to possibly terminate speaker cabling inside the SMC (with a scoop-type pass-through to get wiring to the end equipment) as a sort of patch panel as opposed to doing the standard audio wall plates... mainly to reduce the amount of locations wiring will have to come out of the wall.

Not 100% sold on this idea yet, but I've been searching for SMC based products suited for audio/speaker cabling and haven't come across anything specific yet. Has anyone else seen or used anything other than terminal strips/blocks?

The closest thing I've seen so far is: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=47600-QPB&section=39632&minisite=10251

Which provides (12) QuickPort slots. In which I could then place QuickPort binding posts: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=39143&minisite=10251

But this just seems to waste a LOT of space as that's a half-width solution and would only accommodate 6 speakers. I'm looking at doing 5.1 in our living room + 6-zones of Whole Home audio. So with the solution above, I'd have to get (3) of them...

1st attempt at doing this I just ran all of the zoned audio speaker wires in and out of a 24" SMC.  It was way too tight.    That said with the cover on you didn't see it such that I left it that way and was done with it.  This was configured in one closet (2 cans).

Second set up just used a 2' X 2' piece of plywood for audio using 12 port patch panel, electric and speaker cables for the Russound zoned amps on a rack.

Around 15 feet away did similar with 8 pairs of speaker wires adjacent to a 42" Leviton media can.     The speaker cables coming to the plywood were 12 16/4's. 

The 12 16/4's were too thick for putting in and out of a SMC.

For a 5.1 and 7.1 set up I mixed in wall and external speakers terminating external speakers using speaker posts you have pictured and speaker posts by the AVR.  These runs are just from AVR to speakers. (5.1 and 7.1).

Yeah, in our previous home I ran them surround speakers to a 5.1 wall plate, and the whole-home speakers to multiple speaker straps. I may just do the same again...

pete_c said:
So are you putting your surround sound amp next to or adjacent to your AVR? 

In my case, the are one and the same. This is what I have today: 
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-80

In this home, I will be adding a passive, in-ceiling subwoofer, as I just don't want a floorstanding sub in the room. So, I will be purchasing a separate amplifier for that. 

Having said that, I am planning on installing my whole-home audio amplifier adjacent to my AVR as well. Really, I'll be placing 90+% of all AV and networking equipment in a "central" closet; if it relates to this space (HA) it will likely be in there. I quote central, because the closet of choice isn't necessarily central to the home ;) but it is a rather large sized closet; without measuring I'd estimate that it's about 4' x 5'. I will try to keep the footprint down some, as to not take over the entire space, but ultimately, I'll use whatever space is necessary. 

I think you are looking for DIN-mount terminal blocks, for patching audio.

These terminal blocks are mounted in my rack, but they were designed for an enclosure:

07c7ea8d_TB.jpeg

The DIN rail is mounted on a 1U blank plate.

These threads may help
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1471528-din-rail-terminal-block-howto.html
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?33063
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?36494
http://www.integrationpros.org/forums/showthread.php?25323-Patch-Panel-preferred-brands-and-wallmount-network-rack-question&highlight=70169573
(registration required for last link - I am not a member there myself)

ahhh...

Yes above meant to write..

So are you putting your zoned sound amp next to or adjacent to your AVR?

Still figuring out the VSX-44 I have.  I am at turning it on and we do only use it in two modes.  That said here added a second powered subwoofer but mostly keep them turned down anywhoot...

That is a decent sized closet. 

Neurorad said:
These terminal blocks are mounted in my rack, but they were designed for an enclosure:

07c7ea8d_TB.jpeg

This is great! And probably perfect for what I'm looking for. Interestingly enough, I've used DIN rail and similar parts from Weidmuller on projects at work, but didn't think about using them for SMC purposes. 

Do you have a part number for the ones pictured? On the AVS page I see that you mentioned they were from WAGO. 

EDIT: I also just saw that you mentioned that you didn't recall the model # back in 2013, so assume you wouldn't be able to today. I'll do some digging. 

I had a few extra terminal blocks that I kept in the original box - I saw the box on Sunday in a parts bin, in my workshop.  I will post the details.

The Wago are good, but pricey.  I'm sure Phoenix has comparable TBs.

Terminal blocks don't work well for me in my rack, in my closet.  I would like them to be easily connected and disconnected. I have plans to replace the TBs with SpeakOn connectors (like pictured), when I replace the hugely oversized server rack.

04-14-08_1722.jpg

I provided details on the Wago terminal blocks that I used in that first link - just not the part #.

You would probably use front or side-entry pass-through (or feed-through) terminal blocks, probably double density.  You can find a Phoenix TB distributor (or Phoenix directly) and ask them for the part#, from that description, and your wire gauge. 

Here also went to tinning the stranded wire terminations for the speakers except for the Russound amp ends.  Not sure if that was good or not; just easier for me.  For the vertical in wall speakers also used a 1" drywall screw and plastic tie wrap to keep it from falling in the wall.

For behind the media center used two Arlington boxes adjacent to each other and added a separate circuit to the fuse panel for two added outlets.

They are kind of bulky with two pieces; one with brackets to the wall and a trim cover piece over the boxes.  Might be first generation boxes as I see the new ones do not have the trim plates.

Curious, what's the need for you to have the quick-disconnect capability there? 

When we were at our last place, I don't think I ever touched mine with the exception being installation and tear-down. What I used them for is to keep from having to leave bare wire exposed when I removed equipment from the house (e.g. AVR). What I did mess with, is swapping the AVR itself; which I put banana terminals on the ends of the wires, so swapping the AVR only takes a few minutes. 

With these in place, if/when we decide to move, I'll be able to remove the "OUTPUT" patch cables that provide connection between the terminal blocks and the respective amplifier, and leave a clean footprint behind - with nothing to tidy up. 

pete_c said:
For behind the media center used two Arlington boxes adjacent to each other and added a separate circuit to the fuse panel for two added outlets.

I've been considering [and probably will be] pulling dedicated Romex from each TV location to the central closet as well - using Midlite power inlets in the closet. This will provide the opportunity to run all media equipment (TV's included) off UPS, and have the ability to turn power on/off as desired (IP managed power strip)... adding the ability to completely enable or disable TV functionality via power (i.e. kids). 

Granted, I wouldn't bother doing this if there was any existing power for wall-mounted TV's. But, since there is none in place today and I'm going to have to pull Romex anyway... might as was complicate it right?!? I mean..... automate it!!! 

It's been many years now and here put hidden locks on the media cabinet when children were young after hearing stories about putting food in VCR players et al.  I wouldn't let my children watch regular TV at the time; only Disney tapes or whatever; that was me. 

Here wanted clean power on separate circuits in the family room.  While redoing the family room separated out the lighting circuits from the outlets, fireplace et al going from one breaker to four breakers for the family room.  Master bathroom just had two circuits (one for the large whirlpool tub and the rest for lighting and outlets).  I went to three circuits there. Easy to do with conduit and fishing more wire.  Romex is different though.

Back