Premise So long....

Motorola Premise
123 said:
123, on 20 Nov 2018 - 05:49, said:
Respectfully, its lack of support for two-way communication, and links, are drawbacks for me.
Yea. There is a two-way version in the forms discussed but it's much more of a hack than the one-way version. Also, two-way links work, but that's also very hacky. Your MQTT bridge idea is quite ingenious.

@123
@w84no1

I use Premise with SmartThings.  My first hub died (kept rebooting itself), but I got a free replacement.  I use 123's MQTT module and Node-RED to work with SmartThings.  It works flawlessly, but I'm not using MQTT (although you can).  Set up is very similar to what 123 did with HomeRemote and Premise.

I have most Premise devices working in SmartThings (dimmers, motion sensor, door sensor, doorbell, fan, locks, etc), and I also use SmartThing devices in Premise (such as Arlo cameras that trigger occupancy detection in Premise).  There are device handlers in SmartThings for each Premise device type, then a SmartApp that acts as a bridge (originally for MQTT, but I modified it for Premise and added a lot more device types).  There is also another SmartApp I modified to work with the smart home panel and the security panel in Premise.

Let me know if you want to try this.

w84no1 said:
I left a long time ago. I went with smartthings and haven't looked back. I like smartthings because I can still tinker with it. You had a good run though.

David

etc - I'd be interested. Splitting time between two places means my migration isn't happening as quickly as I thought it would. And given I need to keep an eye on one place or the other, Premise is currently set-up to do it at both places. However, I don't see this as a long term solution....

I've looked at three alternatives to Premise. I'll put down the what, the whys and why nots - feel free to provide some comments.

Number 1 criteria is I MUST be able to work with it myself; Number 2 is it must provide control via IP, RS-232, ZWave (ZigBee optional); Number 3 is I must be able to expand the system via purchase from distributors. Number 4 - no hard sell from a dealer.

1) Savant - couldn't find anything compelling on their website. Could buy the hub from Best Buy, but didn't appear to be much more beyond that. It appears to support some of the protocols, but requires a dealer visit.
2) Control4 - Fits the majority of the criteria. Has support from the vendors whose products I need to control. (pool, a/c, security, much, much more, etc), Dealer will sell me the HW, but insists they do the install and programming. (despite telling them I will pay for my own travel for training in Utah). Sadly, some dealers wouldn't move beyond the conversation of 'the homeowner/end user' doing anything with it other than using the display(s). One potential dealer I'm still working with - they support California and Hawaii. But working it myself may still be an issue. Can only buy C4 HW from C4. It's unlikely I can become a dealer. 
3) RTI - Meets all of my criteria, but a little concerned on the ability to do much beyond the 'out of the box' programming, albeit I've only spent a couple of weeks going thru the training. Available via distribution; my distributor got me signed up and access to the training; RTI has interfaces (drivers) with the vendors I need. A thing that I would like, (that C4 has) is an HDMI output. It appears only their top of the line processor supports HDMI for On-Screen Display. I think its a bit of an oversight on RTI, but maybe they have some future plans. Media control will require the purchase of some media streamer, but that's less of a concern.

So I'll probably end up with an RTI HW interface coupled with a Premise backend so I can get immediate support for the systems I need while I continue to work with my beloved Premise mini-browser...

Jugging along with RTI. I must say, Premise was waaay ahead of its time. Troubleshooting is better; status of activity is better; interaction between components seems better with Premise, but I'm a long way from being an experienced RTIer….so maybe it will get better.
Having a lot of troubles with getting the RA2 to work with RTI. No problems with Premise. Needless to say, Premise is still driving the house.
Drivers, drivers, drivers is the biggest differentiator...

I've now spent about 3-4 months using Home Assistant. I've also spent about the same amount of time on HA's community forum! I've learned far more than I actually need to know for the amount I use Home Assistant. I use it predominately to provide Premise with a modern UI.

Just for amusement, I also use it for its excellent HomeKit integration. Kind of neat to ask Siri to arm our home in stay mode, or raise the temperature, or lock the door, or ask if there are any lights on downstairs. It's neat because, ultimately, all the commands are passed on from Home Assistant to Premise (via MQTT) and then drive 'legacy systems' like my ELK M1, UPB lights, HAI Omnistat/2 thermostat, etc.

Premise was way ahead of its time and is still ahead of many systems offered today. It's all about its well-designed architecture and Builder's ability to give you access to all that power and control. Anyway, my disappointment is that new HA software products overlook to duplicate Premise's best ideas.

FWIW, Home Assistant's new UI technology (called Lovelace) is out of beta and is now the default presentation system. You can either define the UI manually (as a YAML file) or graphically in a browser. It currently has a library of 24 'cards' (UI widgets) and users are able to create and share custom cards. I think you'll like what you see. Have a look at the blog page where you'll find a demo video and also, more importantly, a link to the Lovelace interactive demo page. You'll see three different examples (sourced from Home Assistant users) and you can edit them on-screen to get a feel for how they work.

https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2019/01/23/lovelace-released/

Video demonstrating the new ability to modify cards directly in the UI: https://youtu.be/XY3R0xI45wA

JimSpr's latest contribution  inspired me to keep trudging along on my updates to 123's MiniBrowser.

Sam Greco has wanted to be able to use the Group aspects of Premise without using the AB.

I finally have MiniBrowser with Groups working consistently - a big achievement for me! (And I think the last hurdle)
Trying to (re)learn javascript, HTML5 and CSS3 at the same time was probably a bit much, but I'm now at a point where I'm just working out some of the MB UI nits.

I removed a lot of the drill down aspects of getting to objects. I added a lot of visual indicators at a higher level. Scenes are available thruout, without drilling down. All lights are there. No drill down to do power on/off.
A lot of real-time updates. For me, it's exciting to see things happening real-time without using the AB or doing browser refreshes...Sorry Gents, but I used polling vs adding pub-sub. Maybe in the future, someone can show me how to add it in?

I should probably change the title of this post  ^_^

Sounds great.  So the inevitable question is:  When do we get our hands on it?   :)  Glad you're sticking around.

Maybe a couple of weeks? I have to go thru the UI to make sure all of the things line up; I still have two other breakpoints to do (screen size).
I'd really love feedback on HOW it works, BUGS, etc. That would be very helpful.

I know that some of my coding could have been better, or done more efficiently, but I'd really like feedback from a user perspective...

Well, I would be glad to play with it and give you some feedback.  I have a couple of android phones and an iPad to give you 2 very different breakpoints.

Still alive and still working on it...ran into a problem with jQuery and how it loads pages. I wanted a seamless 'no loading' effect. jQuery said 'nope. The suggested workaround affected the scene and macro buttons. And Groups!!!
After 3 or 4 days, I finally have my seamless 'no loading' effect. Everything is working, including Groups...

I guess I'm officially gone. The WIndows 10 update failed, and went into a never ending loop of "backing out". After literally hours of troubleshooting, rebooting, and all of the usual crap associated with running a Microsoft system, I pulled out the HDD, and threw the PC into the trash.

Bought a MacBook Air. Unfortunately, I have to keep the Surface for a couple of applications, but done.

I contacted two Control4 companies. I'll just enjoy my retirement...

I have to suppress the Windows 10 vurp, but I HAVE to have Premise running - my alarm system (123's) Elk M1 requires it. As I'll be on the road, Premise acts as my notification system. And my lighting. And everything else. And I haven't listened to music since the weekend...

And hard to believe, but my wife misses her  :eek:

But still going to go down the C4 path (RTI, not so crazy about. A Pronto on steroids). Although I have now contacted FOUR C4 companies and have yet to hear back from any of them. (I guess when I tell them I have a small house (1200 sq..) it must go into the 'not worth our time' bucket. Probably should have told them I have a second house (3000 sq) I need done, as well). Oops!
(It's also running Premise. No issues and I haven't been there since May. And I WON'T be doing ANY Windows updates when I get back there next month!!)

Anyone have an old XP disc laying around?

Actually, I may have a disc.  I'll check when I get home.  I know that I have Windows 95, NT, 2000, 7, Vista :)

Back