So there are no higher than 135 degree detectors on the approved M1 smoke detectors list?

Six system sensor detectors in total.
I have three heat detectors. One 5062 in my garage that is new. Two 5061p that are about to be replaced.

I have three 2wt-b. These are all new.

Six system sensor detectors in total.
I have three heat detectors. One 5062 in my garage that is new. Two 5061p that are about to be replaced.

I have three 2wt-b. These are all new.
Since you have 2WT-B detectors, that sort of makes the discussion about sounders moot, since the 2WT-B does not contain a sounder. The model with a sounder is the 2WTA-B. Note that the 2WTA-B is not one of the certified models for the M1 on zone 16.

Other M1 owners on cocoontech say they have used the 2WTA-B on zone 16, and say they have not run into problems, but you would need to be careful about how many you attach to the daisy chain. The 2WT-B and 2WTA-B contain the same sensor and draw the same current in standby mode, so there is not a problem in terms of triggering an alarm. But when they go into alarm mode and the sounder sounds, they draw higher current - on the order of 30mA each. I have never come across a spec for the M1 as to how much current zone 16 can provide. Probably because Elk didn't intend sounders to be connected to it. So that leaves an open question as to how many you could safely daisy chain.

To get all of the smokes to sound in tandem, you need a reversing relay, such as the RSS-MOD or COSMOD2W. Using either one solves the problem of alarm-mode current. If you wire it up to SAUX power, when it reverses polarity to cause the other units to sound it will be drawing power from SAUX rather than the zone.

If you have smoke ALARMS in your house and plan to keep them in place and add the smoke detectors as a supplement to them, you're ok from a fire code point of view as the alarm sounders will be sufficient according to code. But if you want to eliminate the smoke alarms and have only the smoke detectors for your fire protection, then you need to provide sounders in all the appropriate places to meet code requirements. If you are going to use detectors with internal sounders, that should be fine. Using detectors without sounders means that you need to provide some other way to properly alert everyone. In some jurisdictions, folks have run into problems satisfying the AHJ that what they do meets code.

@RAL: I, again, appreciate the help. I do have smoke alarms that are all centrally wired and in every room of the house so that they'll alert us to leave if a fire starts that one of them detects. my smoke detectors are simply a latter addition to my house (to alert the fire dept) if there is a fire.

so, based upon what I've learned here, I'm going to do the following:

1) NOT connect my current (very extensive and interconnected) smoke alarm system to my M1.
2) connect my two 5061p's and my 5062, each to their own zone on my M1 with a 2200 EOL resistor (at the detector).
3) daisy chain my three 2wt-b detectors and connect them to my M1 with an 820 EOL resistor.

sound reasonable? any other thoughts?

again, I appreciate the kindly and expert assistance.

@RAL I read your post about the complexities of having 4-wire detectors on multiple zones. Great explanation.

Do you know if a 4-wire system consisting of multiple System Sensor 4WTA-B smokes (all daisy chained on the same zone) can be "expanded" by adding Elk 2-way wireless smokes (ELK-6052)? I'm thinking rules will need to be set up to cause all smokes (wired and wireless) to sound when one smoke trips, similar to when 4-wire smokes are on more than one zone. Also, maybe rules will be needed for resetting them?

Last edited:
@RAL: I, again, appreciate the help. I do have smoke alarms that are all centrally wired and in every room of the house so that they'll alert us to leave if a fire starts that one of them detects. my smoke detectors are simply a latter addition to my house (to alert the fire dept) if there is a fire.

so, based upon what I've learned here, I'm going to do the following:

1) NOT connect my current (very extensive and interconnected) smoke alarm system to my M1.
2) connect my two 5061p's and my 5062, each to their own zone on my M1 with a 2200 EOL resistor (at the detector).
3) daisy chain my three 2wt-b detectors and connect them to my M1 with an 820 EOL resistor.

sound reasonable? any other thoughts?

again, I appreciate the kindly and expert assistance.
That's reasonable. You could put the 5601p's and 5602 all on a single zone if you want. But the separate zones make it easy to know which one caused the alarm.

Back