Socket Rocket type product - feedback requested

electron said:
BSR's method would be useful in case you don't know how to do electrical work or don't have room to install an in-line module.
I am trying to understand the specific application. I am thinking of a kitchen recessed can light with this box hanging down? If there is no room for an in-line module where would this box go?

I was thinking the wires would be long enough where you could mount the box to the ceiling or another nearby area. This way the unit will only hang out an inch or so from the socket itself.

Aesthetics are not important or one wouldn't be using a "socket rocket" methodology in the first place ;).

Also, if it could be done, have the ability to optionally mount the unit on the side of that socket (wires would recess into the box somehow).

I took apart an ICON Relay switch ( I have a few dead ones ) and it appears that the 480 W rating is based soley on the rating of the relay (and wire, PWB traces etc).

If I am correct then if a higher rated relay was used there could be a 600 W and a 1000 watt version. I know of a few applications (Outdoor Christmas decorations controlled by an inside switch etc) and for a slight increase in the price point could expand the product line easily and quickly.

I understand that the footprint of the relay might limit selection as would be the physical size of the relay and the ability of the unit to handle the heat form the tungsten or inductive loading.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Heat dissipation would be my concern, Digger. How to dissipate adequate heat in the varied possible installations would become a very real issue as the load goes from 100w up to 1000w. I'm imagining even a 150w bulb in a 7" ceiling can... I hope it has a heat-shut-off...

BTW, I'm impressed to see you contributing to the "design future" of an Insteon product! ;)

The change was for switches not the socket rocket. I think 100 W would be enough for the socket rocket.

I would use a socket rocket for table lamps so I guess that is choice A.
I'm thinking 120W would be sufficent for any of my uses. Would this product
have "local control"? If so it is is vital that it send out an insteon message to let
other controllers (i.e. keypadlinc) know that its status has changed.

Local control.

It would have to be different from X10 local control, since it is downstream of the switch, rather than upstream.

IMWO, the socket-rocket-like-device should come ON when it senses the AC come on, so as to act transparently. It would be desirable for it to report the fact that it came on.

However, since it is downstream, there is no way for it to report when the local control turns OFF, because it is no longer connected to the power.

cmctaque, not bad at all !

It was important that you brought up the local control issue, as it is a necessary concern with a socket-rocket-like-device.

rocco said:
IMWO, the socket-rocket-like-device should come ON when it senses the AC come on, so as to act transparently. It would be desirable for it to report the fact that it came on.
I'm no local control expert, but what I have seen is like a power switch with an ON button but no OFF button - worthless.

Local control should at least toggle between 2 preset levels. Most people will want 100% and 0% to be the two levels. Nice to have are 3 presets: 0%, 50%, 100%. Mid level to be user configurable.

So you turn OFF-ON to go 50%, OFF-ON to go 100% and OFF-ON again to turn off. That is local control.

elcano said:
So you turn OFF-ON to go 50%, OFF-ON to go 100% and OFF-ON again to turn off.
I like that idea. However, I would consider the "OFF_ON again to turn off" to be counter intuitive. How about just OFF to turn off?

And having three different brightnesses (33%, 67% and 100%) would emulate the old three-way bulbs. If the device supported 150 watts, it could do 50w, 100w and 150w. Even my wife would like that.

In any case, the device would have to remember its previous state even though it has no power, and I don't believe current Insteon devices contain any high-duty-cycle non-volatile memory. Just flash.

Thanks again for all of the feedback on the product. We look forward to developing and bringing it to the market as soon as we can. :p

Rocco - fyi all the SmartLabs Design products have non-volatile memory.

SmartLabsMike said:
Yes, I realize that they have flash, but do the have high-endurance non-volatile memory?

If you were to update the flash every time you turned the device on or off, you may exceed the endurance rating of the flash. Flash is not meant to be erased and re-written that often.

rocco said:
SmartLabsMike said:
Yes, I realize that they have flash, but do the have high-endurance non-volatile memory?

If you were to update the flash every time you turned the device on or off, you may exceed the endurance rating of the flash. Flash is not meant to be erased and re-written that often.
I did not say flash. I said they all have non-volatile. :D

Back