solid copper core DS RG6 or clad core QS?

wired-up

Ready to wire and my electrician says he can do dual-shielded RG6 with a solid copper core, or Quad-shield RG6 with a copper clad (not solid copper) core. He says he has to pull wire Monday am and no time to order.
After reading the How-To here I had requested solid copper core QS.
Which is better? will it make a big difference if I want to use the 3 RG6 to deliver HDTV?
Also, which is best for motion detectors? will 24/4 be ok or cat5e or 22/4 or does it matter? TIA

wired-up said:
Also, which is best for motion detectors? will 24/4 be ok or cat5e or 22/4 or does it matter? TIA
I've been using 22/4 or 22/6 (for old latching PIR's) for over 30 years with no problems. I wouldn't spend the extra money to use Cat 5e. I won't get into the "which is better" RG6 debate, but I use solid copper core QS.

I agree that RG6 QS is the best for HD. Is there other wire he can pull Monday while you track down the good stuff?

I use 22/4 for PIRs. Never saw 24/4, by that point I would use Cat5 - but standard security 22/4 is perfect.

Steve said:
Never saw 24/4, by that point I would use Cat5 - but standard security 22/4 is perfect.
I think that is standard phone cable (Cat-3), just not sure though... But, I agree, I would go with 22 gauge or Cat-5.

Back