Speaker selector with rs232/usb/ethernet/ir control

naething

I just ordered a couple pairs of Monoprice's 4101 in wall speakers. I'm actually planning on using them in ceiling so hopefully that ends up working out OK. I plan on putting them in a couple of different rooms (probably a single pair in the master bedroom and office to start out).

I have a Denon 3808ci that is hooked up to a nice 7.1 setup. I plan on having all the in-ceiling speakers hooked up to a speaker impedance matching switch on zone 2 from the Denon. I was thinking about just getting a cheap 4 or 8 speaker set selector from Monoprice (~$25). However, I want to be able to control it from my home automation setup. I'm not really pick how that is accomplished.

Right now my thought is take apart the monoprice selector and buy a rs232 or ip controlled relay board (maybe even a CAI webcontroller hooked up to a ttl controlled relay board?). Then I figure if I just replace the buttons on the speaker selector with the relays I have a cheap home automation controllable speaker switch.

Has anyone else looked at something similar?

You may have some trouble with digital sources on zone 2 of the 3808ci. Search the AVS Official 3808 thread. I used in-wall volume controls to turn zones on and off.

Maybe relays could be positioned in line with the speaker level outputs from the speaker selector box.

You may have some trouble with digital sources on zone 2 of the 3808ci. Search the AVS Official 3808 thread. I used in-wall volume controls to turn zones on and off.

Maybe relays could be positioned in line with the speaker level outputs from the speaker selector box.

@Neurorad, thanks for the heads up on the Denon. It looks like I can get optical or coax digital sources to output on zone 2/3, just not HDMI. I wish you could but for my purposes I think it wouldn't make a big difference. I would probably be OK with analog is I had to use it.

The reason I was thinking of using the relays to replace the push switches on the selector box rather than in line on the actual speaker cable is I think that would bypass the impedance matching circuits of the speaker box. That is, I don't think you want a speaker circuit selected but with an open circuit?

Thinking about it a bit more... I'll probably just get a cheap selector switch and handle it manually for a while. I have a small house and it isn't a big deal having to push a button in my A/V rack. Plus there are lots of other projects I have going on! Then eventually get a decent 7.1 Amp with 7 channel stereo and rs232/ethernet control (maybe wait until I upgrade my Denon and use it?). On my Denon at least it is pretty easy to control the volume to different channels.

If someone has a good cheap solution to this I'm all ears though! I want to avoid buying multiple amps like some of the other setups I've seen because I'm just going to listen to one source and I don't have enough space for them all.

@RonX, the ab8ss looks nice, and getting multiple of these would be even nicer as it would provide volume control too: http://hacs.com/essall.php

@Neurorad, the Aton systems look nice but are a bit more than I'm looking at spending now. They are probably worth it as they can use wall controllers.

Maybe I should just hold off and get a nice system like that and install wall controls, but part of me things it would be better to just have everything controllable through touchpads. Android devices just keep getting cheaper!

I figure I could build a controllable speaker selector for $60-80. However, that wouldn't give me volume control... too many ways to go here!

In any event I very much appreciate the suggestions.

I utilize the AB8SS speaker box. Its been fine for many years. I don't believe you can purchase one anymore from the company as they are no longer being manufactered.

Recently added a Russound 4 zone amp (with RS-232) which works fine (house now has 12 sound zones). I also purchased 4 of the KPL sound pads for it so I am controlling it today with the HAI Omnitouch screens and the keypads. I picked up two of the Russound 4 zone amps new old stock for $200 or so on Ebay. I also was able to purchase the KPL keypads for less than $40 each. On the newer Russound zoned amps you can utilize the RS-232 interface to do all kinds of stuff (change sources, speaker volume, speaker switching etc).

So if you are not in a rush you can probably find a Russound or Nuvo new old stock, refurbished or used for way less than what they sell for new. These boxes are very industrial strength and made to last. They will both do what you want. The new technology / new multizone for home devices now make these older 5-10 year old devices very legacy and antiquated.

I played with IR blasters many years ago and while they are OK; never really liked them for HA. The only stuff I ever did though with the IR blaster was tweak out my old SA Tivo such that the IR codes were customized for whatever I wanted to record from (channel changing, etc - but it was slow).

Back