Speakercraft MZC-88 dying - Suggestions?

Helheim

My whole house amp is starting to die, guess it's a common problem with these Speakercraft units and have to replace each of the amp boards at about $170 each. I already have one Sonos connect that was plugged into the Speakercraft so I was thinking maybe just get a standard 16 channel amp and more Sonos connects or maybe just get a bunch of Sonos connect amps. I wouldn't be able to use the keypads anymore but seems like a better setup overall. Suggestions? Other options?

Thanks

I've been happy with Nuvo. Russound would be a slightly more DIY-friendly option.

How many sources will you play at one time?

How many zones?

What do you want to use for control, in each zone?

[font="Arial""]8 zones. Normally only one source at a time the odd time 2. Right now we go to the wall turn the zone on then use the Sonos Android app, phone and tablet, to control it. If there was an easy way to control everything from the wall that would be ideal in a few zones. With Nuvo you have to buy that music port thing to play internet radio and your music collection and get the metadata right? [/font][font="Arial""]Probably just a couple Sonos Connects and a multi-channel amp would work but then how do you select the source?[/font]

I think with Nuvo's new system there is no separate music server - integrated. Not sure if they offer keypads.

I guess with any system that supports iOS or Android control, you could do a few zones of on-wall iTouches or tabs, including Sonos and the new Nuvo system.

Music Port Server MPS4 is probably overkill for your needs, as it provides 4 sources.

The new Nuvo system is still pretty new - may be buggy for a few months, but worth a hard look. Supports IP control only, I think.

http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/wired-systems/features/p3100

The P3100 is the rack mount new Nuvo device.

For those zones where you want more power, use an amp. I think the new Nuvo equipment has line level outputs for that purpose.

If you already have a Sonos, could you just do some wall mount tablets for control?

I'm a big fan of on-wall/keypad control myself. Wife doesn't put stuff back where it belongs. The last time I went on a trip she said she missed me because the cordless phone handset batteries were dying.

Back