Special Brultech ECM-1220.H offer to cocoontech members.

Btechrep:

I am preparing to replace my entire electrical service hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks. It will be a new 200 amp service. In the real world, how much difference in accuracy would there be between the split and donut type CTs?

I gather from previous comments that you would recommend the donut type CT instead of the one in the kit, is this correct? I have been planning to go with the donut type but the option of being able to remove the Split CTs without disturbing the wiring is pretty appealing.

Are the magnelab SCT-0750-200 Split CTs and the UCT-1000-200 donut type CTs of the same accuracy and quality as the ones you plan to provide?

If your UL listed CTs are not available yet, can you provide the magnelab SCT-0750-200 CT or the UCT-1000-200 with the package, or if I buy them seperately, will there be an adjustment on the cost for purchasing the kit without the CTs?

Would it be ok to contact your business by phone during the day for questions or purchase of a kit?

Thanks for all your support on this board.

Brian

Brian

There would not be much difference in accuracy if you use "donut" CTs instead of split core types.

Our CT accuracy is comparable (if not better) to Magnelab's.

Our CTs are now UL listed, however, the mold is being modified to imprint our UL and model number and company name. By the time this process is completed and the UL/c versions are manufactured it will be approx 40 days.

We had some Magnelab versions here but I believe they have been recently sold. I'll have to check. We cannot re-emburse you the cost of purchasing Magelab's CTs. If we still have some in stock, we can make a direct exchange.

Paul
Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I could wait until your UL labeled CT's are available but I don't want the pricing you have set up for us to expire before I order. Should I go ahead and place an order and let the CT's be on backorder until the UL labeled ones are available?

Did I hear something about an RS232 version? If so, would this be in addition to or in place of the USB connection? What would the cost and availability be?

It would appear that RS232 would be an easy way to allow the unit to be placed further away from the computer.

Also did the ethernet version happen and if so, at what cost?

Thanks again,
Brian

Bump.

Macca-

I get the same thing. But if you press the connect button and then wait untill all the error messages are over, then press the connect button again it usually connects. Sometimes I have to do this three or four times.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Glad its not just me then! :) I am quite impressed with the actual ECM 1220.h, but look forward to the improved software interface which according to Paul, BrulTech is developing.

I had some success early this morning with mine, following your advice below. However, after getting the software to operate finally, it locked up (got the old Not Responding error in Vista) and I had to use Task Manager to kill off the RTL app. Now I am back to getting Com Port Error 33 again and the unit will not talk to my PC.

Good to see it did work for a brief time though.

Cheers
Andrew

Macca-

I get the same thing. But if you press the connect button and then wait untill all the error messages are over, then press the connect button again it usually connects. Sometimes I have to do this three or four times.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Glad its not just me then! :) I am quite impressed with the actual ECM 1220.h, but look forward to the improved software interface which according to Paul, BrulTech is developing.

I had some success early this morning with mine, following your advice below. However, after getting the software to operate finally, it locked up (got the old Not Responding error in Vista) and I had to use Task Manager to kill off the RTL app. Now I am back to getting Com Port Error 33 again and the unit will not talk to my PC.

Cheers
Andrew

Macca-

Steve

Andrew,

There was a similar issue with the older USB drivers and Vista. Version 5.3 of the driver resolved this problem. Please verify the version you have installed using your device manager.

In the meantime, I will use your regular email to forward a terminal program with some ECM-1220 commands.

You shouldn't be experiencing these problems and I am starting to wonder if you may have an intermittent hardware problem, specially if it has been running fine for a month.

I will ask you to try a few commands with the program I am sending. If we don't get a proper response, we will ship you a replacement unit.

Thanks you for your patience.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am using the latest available usb drivers, confirmed via task manager on all 3 systems I have tried.

Also, I have received your PM and test software and will try it out as per your instructions. I guess at this point it is best to keep this offlist to avoid dominating the thread.

I also want to reinforce my opinion that your customer service has been excellent, and this issue I am experiencing in no way changes this opinion.

Once the problem is resolved, Ill post back here what the fault was so that others may share the knowledge. I'll email you tommorow NZT Paul,.

Cheers
Andre

Is there any chance of a 4 channel model? I have two x 200 amp service panels in my home. I presume that at the current time I would need two ECM-1220's, correct?

Has anyone done a circuit by circuit analysis of usage?

I turned all my circuits off except for the one circuit with the AV equipment and the brutech unit and I am showing 3.3 amps on channel 1 and 5.4 amps on channel 2.

I realize this is not an issue with the driver but was wondering if anyone has turned it down to just one circuit and seen usage on both channels.

I will PM the Brultech rep but was wondering if anyone seen anything similar.

I have been out of the country for the last 3 weeks, but before I left I was having some comms issues with my ECM1220.h. Althoughyour issue is not directly related, I have seen my unit register a current/voltage on my hot water circuit even when I have powered this circuit off at the main switchboard. My only conclusion was that as I am sharing a Cat5e UTP cable to extend the CT circuits to the ECM1220.h then there may have been some inductance from the live CT pair in the Cat5e onto the other Cat5e pair that the dead CT wasa connected to. I am unsure if this is what is happening and it will depend on your setup...

Macca

I turned all my circuits off except for the one circuit with the AV equipment and the brutech unit and I am showing 3.3 amps on channel 1 and 5.4 amps on channel 2.

I realize this is not an issue with the driver but was wondering if anyone has turned it down to just one circuit and seen usage on both channels.

Hi Paul,

Just back in country over the weekend, and I see you have sent me the test software app. I will go thorough the instructions and PM you with the results later today.

The ECM 1220.h appears to have continued to log data without a hitch in the 3 weeks the house has been unattended which is excellent.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Steve,

Cheers
Andrew

Macca-

Steve

Andrew,

There was a similar issue with the older USB drivers and Vista. Version 5.3 of the driver resolved this problem. Please verify the version you have installed using your device manager.

In the meantime, I will use your regular email to forward a terminal program with some ECM-1220 commands.

You shouldn't be experiencing these problems and I am starting to wonder if you may have an intermittent hardware problem, specially if it has been running fine for a month.

I will ask you to try a few commands with the program I am sending. If we don't get a proper response, we will ship you a replacement unit.

Thanks you for your patience.

Paul

That is what I was thinking, I do have a cat5 run about 50 feet using two pairs. But that is per spec.

I have been out of the country for the last 3 weeks, but before I left I was having some comms issues with my ECM1220.h. Althoughyour issue is not directly related, I have seen my unit register a current/voltage on my hot water circuit even when I have powered this circuit off at the main switchboard. My only conclusion was that as I am sharing a Cat5e UTP cable to extend the CT circuits to the ECM1220.h then there may have been some inductance from the live CT pair in the Cat5e onto the other Cat5e pair that the dead CT wasa connected to. I am unsure if this is what is happening and it will depend on your setup...

Macca

I swapped out my standard cat5e UTP today for some screened STP which has individually screened pairs and so far I am not seeing any errant volatges on CH2 when there is no load on the CT....this was easy enough for me as I am in the electrical/comms trade and the cable was on hand, so a pleasing result so far.

This looks like it could be a possible fix, although it is still a bit early to tell.

HTH
Andrew

That is what I was thinking, I do have a cat5 run about 50 feet using two pairs. But that is per spec.

Paul from BrulTech - if you are reading this can you please PM me regarding the comms fault with my ECM1220.h. I have sent you 2 PM's to your Brultech address but have yet to receive any response.

Cheers
Andrew
New Zealand

Andrew-

I think they are out of the office until the 20th or so.

I downloaded the newer version 1.37 and it works better.

Steve

From brultech.com:

ATTENTION:

We will be closed from Dec 12 to Dec 20. We will re-open Monday Dec 22. Online orders may still be placed during this time however they will not be processed until the week of the Dec 22.

We apologize for any inconvenience. We look forward to exciting new product options for 2009 to meet your energy monitoring needs.

Back