Special Brultech ECM-1220.H offer to cocoontech members.

I went and took a look at my panel today after having this sitting in my parts closet for a month. It doesn't look like i have the typical wires coming from the meter to the main breaker, but 2 metal bars. Would the CTs go around the bars or someplace else.
Main_Breaker.JPG

I went and took a look at my panel today after having this sitting in my parts closet for a month. It doesn't look like i have the typical wires coming from the meter to the main breaker, but 2 metal bars. Would the Ct's go around the bars or someplace else.
View attachment 1954

Around the bars, but from the picture it doesn't look like enough clearance.

Brian

I went and took a look at my panel today after having this sitting in my parts closet for a month. It doesn't look like i have the typical wires coming from the meter to the main breaker, but 2 metal bars. Would the CTs go around the bars or someplace else.

Do those bars even have insulation on them? I assume they must, but I cannot tell from the picture. Without it, it seems that if the box moved even a hair, it might contact the metal bars can cause the whole box to become electrified.

Eitherway, it doesn't look like there is a lot of room to install the donuts required to monitor the power.

What's below it? Where do those bars come from? Maybe there's room someplace else?

I think the top of the meter is visable in the picture. At least that is what I assumed that roundish looking thing is.
I agree I beleive that may be the meter below the main. If you look at the bar on the left it looks likt they have a black insulation on them but I dont think there is enough room to place a CT around them... Usually you can't/arn't allowed to open the meter housing... hope I am wrong and you have another place to put these

I'll give you $5 for your now useless parts... :unsure:

View attachment 1954
Jim,

If you have at least 3/4" clearance between the bottom and the lug then our SPLIT-200 will fit. If not, then we have a substitute CT you can use if you have at least 5/8" clearance.

Paul

It doesn't look like i have the typical wires coming from the meter to the main breaker, but 2 metal bars. Would the CTs go around the bars or someplace else.
Jimmyjam;

I just wanted to make sure, is this the only panel you have? In other words, is there another panel beside this one that houses the breakers?

In this case you may have to wrap the CT around the individual branch circuit phase conductors. You will need to extend the circuits on the left of the panel to the right of the panel or vice versa.

I cannot tell from the photo of the main breaker how many branch circuits are in the panel, but just make sure the common phases "A" are through one CT and the "B" phase circuits are through the other CT.

Pay close attention to direction of current if there are arrows on the CT's when splicing/extending the branch circuits. It could start to get confusing and cluttered if you have many branch circuits.

Hope that helps.

Bill

To answer everyone's questions:
There is only about 1/2" of clearance. It appears that the bars are insulated. I can see a bit of silver right below where the main breaker is, and then the rest below is black which looks like insulation. There is no other panel for the house except a subpanel for our pool equipment out on the wall in the backyard. Below is the electrical meter to the right, and a locked compartment on the left that I cannot access.
meter.JPG

It is a SquareD Panel, Model # SC3040M200F

In this case you may have to wrap the CT around the individual branch circuit phase conductors. You will need to extend the circuits on the left of the panel to the right of the panel or vice versa.

I cannot tell from the photo of the main breaker how many branch circuits are in the panel, but just make sure the common phases "A" are through one CT and the "B" phase circuits are through the other CT.

Pay close attention to direction of current if there are arrows on the CT's when splicing/extending the branch circuits. It could start to get confusing and cluttered if you have many branch circuits.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Putting them on the individual circuits might be doable. The CTs do have an arrow going from K to T if I remember correctly. Not sure which way it's supposed to go as I don't remember seeing anything in the directions.

Breaker_box.JPG

Hope that helps.

Bill

Putting them on the individual circuits might be doable. The CTs do have an arrow going from K to T if I remember correctly. Not sure which way it's supposed to go as I don't remember seeing anything in the directions.

View attachment 1956

Well, your panel looks busy, but it can be done with time and patientance. At the least, you can open the main breaker and blanket off the bus stubs with rubber while you take your time and work safely in the panel.

I would first check with Brultech to see if you can parallel (2) sets of phase CT's to the equipment. I do not have a Brultech so I am not sure if you can set a multiplier when summing. It would make things much neater and easier to install if you can have A & B Phase CT's on the left and also on the right of the panel.

If not, it can still be done extending branches. Try and relocate the larger breakers to one side of the panel so you would only need to extend the smaller gauge conductors.

Arrows on AC current transducers should face the source or direction of current flow depending on arrow orientation stamped on CT.

Bill

Hope that helps.

Bill

View attachment 1956

Jim,

Let me check to see if I can find something that will fit 1/2" clearance. May need to use a Rogowski type sensor.

Paul

Btechrep:

I am preparing to replace my entire electrical service hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks. It will be a new 200 amp service. In the real world, how much difference in accuracy would there be between the split and donut type CTs?

I gather from previous comments that you would recommend the donut type CT instead of the one in the kit, is this correct? I have been planning to go with the donut type but the option of being able to remove the Split CTs without disturbing the wiring is pretty appealing.

Are the magnelab SCT-0750-200 Split CTs and the UCT-1000-200 donut type CTs of the same accuracy and quality as the ones you plan to provide?

If your UL listed CTs are not available yet, can you provide the magnelab SCT-0750-200 CT or the UCT-1000-200 with the package, or if I buy them seperately, will there be an adjustment on the cost for purchasing the kit without the CTs?

Would it be ok to contact your business by phone during the day for questions or purchase of a kit?

Thanks for all your support on this board.

Brian

Btechrep:

I am preparing to replace my entire electrical service hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks. It will be a new 200 amp service. In the real world, how much difference in accuracy would there be between the split and donut type CTs?

I gather from previous comments that you would recommend the donut type CT instead of the one in the kit, is this correct? I have been planning to go with the donut type but the option of being able to remove the Split CTs without disturbing the wiring is pretty appealing.

Are the magnelab SCT-0750-200 Split CTs and the UCT-1000-200 donut type CTs of the same accuracy and quality as the ones you plan to provide?

If your UL listed CTs are not available yet, can you provide the magnelab SCT-0750-200 CT or the UCT-1000-200 with the package, or if I buy them seperately, will there be an adjustment on the cost for purchasing the kit without the CTs?

Would it be ok to contact your business by phone during the day for questions or purchase of a kit?

Thanks for all your support on this board.

Brian

Bump

Back