Special Brultech ECM-1220.H offer to cocoontech members.

Okay, I think I understand. From your last point, it looks like specifying the Zigbee version of the ECM determines which system I am locked into from the start, i.e. Zigbee isn't simply an add-on option.

Additionally, the builtin Zigbee module that you are (initially) including in this setup is the older ZNet 2.5 modules and these wouldn't be compatible with any ZB modules that I buy for my other projects (at least until I upgrade the firmware in your module). I shouldn't buy the older modules, right?

It looks like I could order your Zigbee version for now and if I get my own ZB modules, I could do independent work until your product supports ZB and then upgrade your firmware and have a completely ZB based system. Is this correct? I realize you have to qualify your response based on what Digi claims.

Once I have the system fully converted to ZB, I could create my own applications (say in a microcontroller) that could use my ZB module and obtain the ECM data in parallel with the module connected to the dongle on the PC running the client application. Correct?
I guess I'm trying to determine if the data is directed discretely to the peer module in the dongle and/or is encoded such that it is not easily read. I assume I would see the same serial data that is presented to the COM port.

Also, I see that the specs on your site indicate an indoor range of 80ft. My panel is at the back of a detached garage about 25ft away. This means that the distance is about 23ft + 25ft + ~ 20ft to my wiring closet = ~70ft. It would have to go through 3-4 walls (2 of which are exterior). This seems close to the max range. Do you think it will have a problem or is the spec overstated?

gk

Good question Greg.

Our ECM-1220 uses the XBEE ZNet2.5 modules with the Znet2.5 firmware. We will soon be migrating to the ZB firmware...... The ZB firmware is not compatible with the Znet2.5 ..... don't anyone panic now! We have designed our monitors to allow the zigbee firmware to be re-flashed at both ends (ECM and PC) to be upgradable to the ZB version should anyone wish to do so in the future. The firmware and XCTU firmware programer software is available from digi.com.

The USB to Zigbee dongle is setup as the coordinator and the ECM as the router. A mesh network consists of one coordinator and 1 or more routers (and end devices). With the dongle at the PC end, it appears as a COM port due to the virtual com port driver used in conjunction with the USB-to-serial chip in the dongle. A dongle having the ZB firmware is supposed to be compatible with any zigbee compliant products, however it would require the appropriate software to do so. We haven't had a chance to explore this. We are going by what Digi support has told us.

At the ECM-1220 end, there is no dongle. The zigbee models have the radio installed internaly. We have a special version of ECM-1220 firmware which connects the ECM-1220 USB port directly to the zigbee radio to allow re-flashing the zigbee module, should anyone ever require to do so.

I hope this answers your questions.

Paul

I would like to make a clarification. The hardware for the Znet2.5 and the ZB are the same. The following paragraph was taken directly from digi.com site:

XBee & XBee-PRO ZB hardware note: The XBee & XBee-PRO ZB share hardware with XBee & XBee-PRO ZNet 2.5. As a result, modules can be “converted” from one platform to another by loading different firmware onto a given module. Contact Digi Support for details.

They have a conversion kit you can download to convert from znet2.5 to ZB, which consists of firmware programmer and firmware.

The stated 80ft zigbee range on our site is a very conservative estimate. Digi states 130ft indoor and these are the modules we use.

The current configuration uses the default zigbee values except for the baud rate which is changed from 9600 to 19,200 and the node ID (NI) which is set to E2 for the monitor and C2 for the coordinator. For the ZB version a pan ID of 345 is assigned to both modules. The coordinator sends a "destination node E2" initially, then the modules readily communicate as if there was an RS232 connection.

I hope this clears things up for you a bit.

Paul

Gents..

Is $46 a normal price for a current transformer?

If you search split-core current transformers on google, you will probably see 200A CTs for more than $100. They can be expensive if you want linear response with minimal phase shift.

Paul

I was following this topic in August and like what I see and am ready to buy.

Has there been any updates for communication over ethernet and plug-in creation for Homeseer?

Thanks,

Will

Thanks...guess i'll buy them....

I assume i can buy the head unit from Brultech without the CT's right?

These SCT-0750-200's from Magnelabs. Do i have to solder a plug on them or anything to make them connect to the head unit?

Gents..

If you search split-core current transformers on google, you will probably see 200A CTs for more than $100. They can be expensive if you want linear response with minimal phase shift.

Paul

BtechRep,

I have a 600 amp service. 3 x 200. Do you offer any configurations that would work with this?

Brian

We can use a setup consisting of six CTs on one ECM-1220.H. This would require one 200A Pkg and two Y-SPLIT-200 sets.

Paul

Paul,

I emailed a couple of times about this, inquiring if I purchased the above setup if it would work as-is, or would I need something special. I have never received a response.

Brian

Thanks...guess i'll buy them....

I assume i can buy the head unit from Brultech without the CT's right?

These SCT-0750-200's from Magnelabs. Do i have to solder a plug on them or anything to make them connect to the head unit?

Gents..

Paul

We have a couple of SCT-0750 Magnelab CTs (new), which we can substitute in your case.

Paul

BtechRep,

I have a 600 amp service. 3 x 200. Do you offer any configurations that would work with this?

Brian

We can use a setup consisting of six CTs on one ECM-1220.H. This would require one 200A Pkg and two Y-SPLIT-200 sets.

Paul

Paul,

I emailed a couple of times about this, inquiring if I purchased the above setup if it would work as-is, or would I need something special. I have never received a response.

Brian

Brian

Sorry for the delay.

Your application is do-able. You would need one ECM-1220.H-200 Pkg plus two Y-SPLIT-200s (total of 6 200A CTs.) This would be a custom order requiring custom settings. If you wish to order, please contact [email protected] first so that they are aware of the configuration.

Paul

Any word on when the Ethernet adapter will be available? Can any basis RS232 to Ethernet/IP be used?

Any word on an ETA for CQC for this thing?

Any word on an ETA for CQC for this thing?

The beta version of the CQC driver is available here. So far it provides:

Channel 1 Current (amps)
Channel 2 Current (amps)
Total Current (amps)
Voltage (volts)
Channel 1 Watts
Channel 2 Watts
Watts Total
Channel 1 kWattHours consumed since reset
Channel 2 kWattHours consumed since reset
Total kWattHours consumed since reset
kWh_Costs_Day
kWh_Costs_Day_Projected
kWh_Costs_Hour
kWh_Costs_Hour_Projected
kWh_Costs_Last_Day
kWh_Costs_Last_Hour
kWh_Last_Hour

Costs are only for a straight Rate * kWh scenario so far, but more rate structures to come. I'm hoping I'm only 2 or 3 weeks away from being able to release it as complete...but for now, it works (and several people are already using it..including me!).

awesome beelzerob....

Does the CQC driver expect some sort of RS232/serial port?

I'm most tempet to get the ethernet version, but want it to work with your driver...

awesome beelzerob....

I'm most tempet to get the ethernet version, but want it to work with your driver...

Yes, it's only an RS232/serial port driver at this point. I don't know what Paul has planned for the IP version yet, but if the protocol stays the same, then it would be trivial to support in CQC.

awesome beelzerob....

Yes, it's only an RS232/serial port driver at this point. I don't know what Paul has planned for the IP version yet, but if the protocol stays the same, then it would be trivial to support in CQC.

We will soon be offering an ethernet communication option. The protocol will be the same. It is only a matter of communicating via a TCP/IP port instead of RS-232.

Paul

We will soon be offering an ethernet communication option. The protocol will be the same. It is only a matter of communicating via a TCP/IP port instead of RS-232.

Paul

Well ok then...it'd work just fine with the driver I'm writing now.

It looks like things have been a little quiet here.

Any sucess stories, likes, dislikes?

Any reviews yet?

Any info on the HomeSeer interface?

Brian

I am still working on the review. It is my higher priority right now (I had to deal with some other personal issues in the last 2 weeks, so I haven't had much time).

Back