Spectrum TV equipment choices?

JimS

Getting Spectrum for internet and TV and looking at TV equipment choices... Just doing the "choice" package which is local channels plus my choice of 15 non-premium channels. Currently have mythtv for OTA which works well but thinking I might just go for their receiver.

Option 1:
Spectrum supplied receiver for main TV. (or likely use a PC instead and save $9/month)
Firestick for others. (or maybe a small PC)
Cloud DVR.

Option 2:
MythTV
Silicon Dust tuner with cablecard capability (current tuner does not have cable card)

I am thinking using the Spectrum receiver will make using the cloud DVR easier so would appreciate input on this detail particularly. But I see on the Spectrum cloud DVR page that it says it is for customers without a receiver and lists other ways to access it including browsers (any issue using Linux?).

One of the things I hate about firesticks is searching - you have to use an onscreen keyboard and move the cursor around for each letter. But I could just put a small PC at each TV. Any issues with that? I could do that and skip the receiver but I think there may be some requirement for at least one receiver?

Last edited:
Instead of a PC I could do ruku or similar but would want a decent interface for ease of use. Think PC is only option that would give access to cloud DVR.

The other issue I find with the Spectrum app is that it takes forever to load initially. I've never timed it, but it seems to be well over a minute when it really should be seconds.

I know the whole "when is cable card support going away" issue will be ever looming over your head, but if your Spectrum coverage area has their copy control settings such that you can use a cable card, I firmly believe it is the best option. Obviously you'll have the upfront cost of the cable card tuner, but not having to rent a cable box at $9 means you can make up that initial cost pretty quickly.

Happy to hear MythTV is still around, haven't heard that name drop in years! I'd also consider Jellyfin, which has client support for all popular operating systems including Roku, and supports the HDHomeRun hardware.

I'm also a big fan of the open source incarnation of SageTV, but the extenders are becoming a problem.

An Amazon FireTV cube is on sale today Prime Early Access for $59.95 which is 50% off normal price.

I'll probably purchase one for replacing my Kodi TV (CoreElec) boxes which play 4k fine except that I cannot update them to Kodi 19.

Currently prefer to utilize Kodi for streaming Netflix and AOD and HD Homerun. You can install the Spectrum TV app on the Firebox.

Also have Roku built in to TV here.

61Aa0w6UN+L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
You can install the Spectrum TV app on the Firebox.

Also have Roku built in to TV here.

You got me excited for a second thinking that the Spectrum app was finally available on Fire devices. I don't believe it is. It is compatible with the Kindle Fire device (basically the Fire tablets), but I still don't think it is compatible with the Firesticks (and I'm assuming Fire Cube). You can install it on Roku devices, so you should be covered there since your TV is Roku based.

We use SageTV as our primary viewing source and it's app is only available on the Amazon store (not Roku). Therefore all my TVs either run some sort of Amazon OS or have a Firestick 4k in them. I actually had to buy a Roku just to be able to watch the Spectrum app in case my SageTV system goes down for some reason. I'd love to be able to view the Spectrum app on all of my TVs via the Amazon system, but I don't think that is possible.

Here is how to install it. I have done this installing Kodi on my FireTV stuff.

How to install Spectrum app on Firestick and Fire TV

The first step to do this is to enable the ‘Apps from unknown sources’ option on the Firestick.
To do this, open ‘Settings’.

Next, you need to select ‘My Fire TV’.

Select ‘Developer’.

Then enable ‘Apps from unknown sources’.

After these steps, you will get a pop-up window for you to confirm the action.

Now after these steps, the most important thing you need to do is to download the Spectrum TV app onto the Firestick. You can do this in 2 ways, using the Downloader or ES File Explorer apps.

Once you have completed the previous steps, the most important thing you need to do now is to set up your access to video content from the Spectrum TV app. Following these steps will allow you to download the Spectrum app to Firestick via the Downloader App. To do this you will need to:

The first step is to find the ‘Downloader App’ on your Firestick homepage in the Amazon app store, then install it.

After that, you need to open the app and enter the download URL of the Spectrum TV app for Firestick using the link. Click on the ‘Go’ button.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/file/51z0ihoid5tz7nl/com.TWCableTV_apps.evozi.com.apk

Wait for the app to load.

Then when the download is complete, the app will automatically appear on the installation screen on Firestick.
You will need to click on the “Install” button at the bottom of the screen.

Next, click ‘Open’.

After these steps, the Spectrum TV App on Firestick is ready to use.

You got me excited for a second thinking that the Spectrum app was finally available on Fire devices. I don't believe it is. It is compatible with the Kindle Fire device (basically the Fire tablets), but I still don't think it is compatible with the Firesticks (and I'm assuming Fire Cube). You can install it on Roku devices, so you should be covered there since your TV is Roku based.

We use SageTV as our primary viewing source and it's app is only available on the Amazon store (not Roku). Therefore all my TVs either run some sort of Amazon OS or have a Firestick 4k in them. I actually had to buy a Roku just to be able to watch the Spectrum app in case my SageTV system goes down for some reason. I'd love to be able to view the Spectrum app on all of my TVs via the Amazon system, but I don't think that is possible.
Interesting. I thought the firesticks were supported. But we are leaning toward Youtube TV. Planning to do their free week trial to see how things go.

Here is how to install it. I have done this installing Kodi on my FireTV stuff.

How to install Spectrum app on Firestick and Fire TV

After these steps, the Spectrum TV App on Firestick is ready to use.

I have previously sideloaded the Spectrum app, but when you open the app itself it gives an error that it isn't compatible. (The app is clearly doing some hardware checking as part of the startup process). At least this was true a couple of years ago when I tried it.

If you have different results, please let me know! I'd be happy to jump through these hoops again if it means the app actually functions on the Firestick devices.

I have to assume Spectrum has some sort of exclusivity agreement with Roku that prevents them from allowing their app to be used on the Firesticks. There isn't any other explanation as to why they wouldn't allow it. It's not a programming issue as they have had years to develop a Firestick app and the underlying code cannot be that different (if at all) from the Kindle Fire tablet app.

Yes only tested side loading Kodi. I have satellite for TV (grandfathered account from the beginning of DTV).

I am guessing I can still load the app here....and see if it runs ....will try today on my new FireTV box which I will connect to the office TV.

I still prefer to run Kodi on Linux here more than Kodi on Android. Do both.

Not much to set up here on my very first FireTV box. Easy peasey so far.

Last edited:
@sic0048

You are correct. App installed and when it runs it; it states it is not compatible.

I am impressed that the Fire Cube / CEC totally becomes a remote control STB for the television.

Read that any mods to the box get undone when Amazon updates the firmware and that the bootloader is locked down so you cannot change the boot OS. Installed HDHomerun and Kodi and they run fine on the box.

Currently still using Amlogic S912 Octocore CPUs little TV boxes as base KODI STBs here. OS replaced by CoreElec. Does 4k fine.

Back