Started my prewire today

RandyKnight

As some of you know, I'm in the process of building a house and wiring it up right. Started the prewire today and had a few questions:

1. In addition to the main server room, I've got 2 secondary wiring closet locations wtih small SW cans. My plan is to put and Elk DBH and Zone Extender and an Ethernet switch in each. That way I dont' have to home run EVERYTHING. So basically I'll have a hub and spokes kind of topology, with 3 hubs. This brings up a few issues:

Can I distribute RG6 in a similar manner to above or do I need to home run all of it to the location where the satellite feed will be coming in? What about voice?

I understand Elk temperature sensors all need to be home run so they can be on zones 1-16. Any other devices I need to do this with?

2. What do I need to run for electric door strikes? The ones I see online look like they just use 2 wires. Is Cat5e sufficient or do I need a larger guage wire. If Cat5 will work, my though is to use 1 Cat5 run for both the door contact and doorstrike on each exterior door.

3. I haven't completely settled on an Intercom system yet but am prewiring for one. Do most of them have their stations install in a double gang LV box? I'm thinking I can put a double gang box with a single C5 run to it (home run from the main SW locaation) and this should give me plenty of flexibility whatever I choose.

4. I see smarthome is carrying serveral blind/drapery automation solutions in their latest catalog so I may just call them, but has anybody worked with any of these? What should I run for that?

5. Anybody have experience with usit Cat5e for all your projector connections with baluns for S-Video, VGA, Component, etc.? That would certainly be easiest but I'm a bit concerned about performance.

6. Does the Elk flush mount keypad just use a double gang box? I want to put these near exterior doors with an external prox reader.

I'm sure there wil lbe more questions but this is a good start. :)

RandyKnight said:
6. Does the Elk flush mount keypad just use a double gang box? I want to put these near exterior doors with an external prox reader.
No. To flush mount you need the flush mount back box part #ELK-M1BBK2.

Too bad this stuff doesn't use standard boxes. I always get nervous about using proprietary "odd sized" flush mount boxes. If you want to change to something newer 10 years down the line you are going to have this non-standard hole in the wall to deal with.

I understand Elk temperature sensors all need to be home run so they can be on zones 1-16. Any other devices I need to do this with?
If you are using 2 wire smokes, those need to go to zone 16. Also, all audio needs to go back to the main panel.

What do I need to run for electric door strikes?
2 wire should be fine. Doesn't matter too much what kind of wire normally. Check the current draw on your strikes though to be safe.

blind/drapery automation solutions
Blinds and draperies can be 2 very different beasts. In general, from a pre-wiring perspective, 2 wires should be fine but you may need more than one controller for each set depending on what you are doing.

Back