Structured wiring can compatability/On-Q ethernet depth

bcrawfo2

I'm going to install a structured wiring enclosure in my basement for my growing cat5 farm.
I'm wonder which manufacturer's modules work in other manufacturer's cans. ie...can I take a Channelvision module and put in an On-q enclosure? Can I take a Leviton module and put in an On-q enclosure? I'd like to use the as-designed mounting holes/tabs. In looking for a picture for my next question....does ChannelPlus modules fit in an On-q enclosure?

I have an On-q enclosure that I just picked up, still in the box. Wondering if I need to further research the modules I might want down the road...and maybe return the On-q.

My second question is this....
I got a few on-q 6-port data modules like this http://www.amazon.com/On-Q-6-port-Network-...e/dp/B000JWQJX6

There is a pretty good offset to support the back-wiring of the keystone jacks. I'm concerned about the RJ45 cable that I plug into one of these jacks being bent/stressed by the enclosure cover. Maybe I'm overthinking. I'm soliciting opinions before I open things up and make returning more of an ordeal.

Thanks for any opinions...answers

Scott

These things have 110 punchdown on their backs so that you terminate the cate on there. Thats is why there large offset is there. The fron you then use to connect it to to switch or router.

If it's a OnQ part and an OnQ panel i woudl imagine they did their homeword....not sure if it would work both with and without strain relief 'boots' on a patch cable since that makes it stick out more.

Surprised no one picked the first part of this up. On-q enclosures/modules are compatible with On-q and Grayfox. Leviton is compatible with ChannelVision.

--Jamie

Surprised no one picked the first part of this up. On-q enclosures/modules are compatible with On-q and Grayfox. Leviton is compatible with ChannelVision.

--Jamie

Thanks Jamie.

That was the most frustrating quest for information. I ended up with an On-q enclosure. Now I'll go look at any different modules the Grayfox has.

Have a great day.

Maybe somebody can confirm, but my observations are as follows:

I have a Leviton can and some Channelvision and OnQ ALC modules. The Channelvision modules DO NOT fit in a Leviton can without drilling some extra holes, but it appears the Leviton modules would fit in a Channelvision can without any trouble. ELK stuff is compatible with both Channel vision and Leviton.

The OnQ modules appear to be incompatible with both Leviton and Channelvision can. They can be made it work, but you have to drill some new holes.

In the end i have OnQ, Channel Vision, Leviton and ELK stuff all hapilly in my Leviton can....but the poor can does have some extra holes now...

For newbies i woudl suggest getting a Channelvision can for the most flexibility. Even if the OnQ stuff doesnt fit immediatly from what i can tell you would only need to enlarge some of the holes in the Channel vision can whereas in the Leviton can completely new holes needed to be drilled.

Drilling the new holes is really easy, but is definetely best done when nothing is mounted. I found out late and had to drill holes when most of my can was already filled. This mean little metal chips flying around all the ELK expander boards, OnQ board, etc. Ofcourse i switches everything of and put a rag over the other board...and then blow air through the hole thing when finished..but still it's a bit concerning...

My concern with the OP's question was the depth of the module which appear to be very deep.

Drilling the new holes is really easy, but is definetely best done when nothing is mounted. I found out late and had to drill holes when most of my can was already filled. This mean little metal chips flying around all the ELK expander boards, OnQ board, etc. Ofcourse i switches everything of and put a rag over the other board...and then blow air through the hole thing when finished..but still it's a bit concerning...
I use magnets I take out of old hard drives to help catch the flying metal bits. Stick four magnets .5 inch around your new hole and voila! It really helps...

edit: I don't know to much about magnets, but the ones they put in hard drives are THE strongest magnets I have ever experienced... You need a screwdriver to pry them off.

Try coating the drill bit with vaseline. I use this on the car when drilling near carburetor intakes or spark plug holes. The bits of metal will stick to the vaseline. Just remember to use a low speed drill.

Tony at SetNetPro.com told me Leviton modules are not 'compatible' with ChannelVision enclosures, but it's a simple matter of drilling.

Another reason to extend the wall depth - drilling.

Tony at SetNetPro.com told me Leviton modules are not 'compatible' with ChannelVision enclosures, but it's a simple matter of drilling.

Another reason to extend the wall depth - drilling.

Strange. I have a 38" CV can and a ton of Leviton modules sitting in there no problem, no modifications needed. I'll post a pic when I get back home.

--Jamie

It's the opposite...Channevision MODULES are not compatible with Leviton ENCLOSURES. I haven't tested the other way, but it looks like it should be no problem as confirmed by royalj7 above.

If you want a general purpose can and don't have specific plans for a lot of OnQ/GreyFox stuff i woudl think a channelvision can is your best and most flexible solution.

I prefer CV as well, especially because they have a 50" and we know SWC's are like hard drives and you should buy the biggest you can because they fill up quicker than you would think. I do believe most Leviton modules will fit a CV can as is, but some will require some very minor modification.

Good to hear about the Leviton modules - my CV 50" just arrived from Tony (clearance, open box, on special this month, included cover, $90 shipped :) ).

Back