Suggestions for pulse counter for water meter

ricks

Hoping someone may be able to help me with this one. Now that I have Brultech tracking my electical usage I want to also track my water usage. My water company uses a meter that electronically tracks each gallon used with a pulse. My goal is to get this pulse into my HAI panel where I can track usage with HA software.

The specs for the meter are:
Contact Rating: 4 Watt
Max Voltage: 24 VDC
Max Current: 0.01 A
Max Contact Resistance: 0.2 ohm
Capacitance: 0.2 pF

Anyone know what I would need to get these pulses into my HAI panel?

Thanks,
Rick

I would assume you could just hook the contacts up to an input zone, assuming the water company doesn't already have something connected there. Then you just need a way to count the closures and convert that count to gallons.

You might want to consider putting a separate meter in instead of fooling with the water company's meter. They may consider it tampering, especially if your usage to them gets corrupted. I have a Hays M series water flow meter installed next to the water company's meter. It has a dry contact that sends 10 pulses per gallon so you have a fairly accurate measure of water flow. Check out Hays Fluid Controls. I purchased mine through Graingers.

Thanks
Boomer

BSR Edit: Fixed link.

WayneN and Boomer,

Thanks for the feedback. Boomer, you may have a point. I'm still waiting for the town's electric department to say something when they see that I've cut the tag to remove the meter to install the Brultech. :rolleyes: Hopefully whatever they do to me will not be as bad as getting fried in the panel.

I only have about 10 horizontal feet of 1" between my water company's meter and the house plumbing. Already I have a monitored shutoff valve and a water filter. Real estate on that pipe is getting scarce so that's why I figured I'd run off of the town's meter.

Do you connect the Hayes to a security panel as WayneW mentioned? If so, do you recall if you used the ME - Solid State 6-24 VDC or the Reed Switch - Dry Contact closure version of the M Series?

Thanks,
Rick

I have the reed switch version. I have it connected directly to the ELK panel to a Non-Alarm zone set to fast response. Every pulse of the meter faults the zone. In the rules I have a counter that is incremented by 1 with every pulse. I have a second counter (gallons) that is incremented by 1 every time the first counter hits 10. The first counter is then reset to 0. In my setup I also have a Water Cop valve installed. My main rule is that if the system is armed away, thus no one is in the house, if more that 2 gallons flow within an hour the main water supply is shut off due to a possible leak. This allows enough flow for ice makers, etc.

Also, my water piping is 3/4" on the inside of the water company's meter. I just used appropriate fittings to connect the Hays meter.

Hope this is helpful.
Boomer

looks like grainger is closing out those meters.. $181 vs $250 'while supplies last'

I have the reed switch version. I have it connected directly to the ELK panel to a Non-Alarm zone set to fast response. Every pulse of the meter faults the zone. In the rules I have a counter that is incremented by 1 with every pulse. I have a second counter (gallons) that is incremented by 1 every time the first counter hits 10. The first counter is then reset to 0. In my setup I also have a Water Cop valve installed. My main rule is that if the system is armed away, thus no one is in the house, if more that 2 gallons flow within an hour the main water supply is shut off due to a possible leak. This allows enough flow for ice makers, etc.

Also, my water piping is 3/4" on the inside of the water company's meter. I just used appropriate fittings to connect the Hays meter.

Hope this is helpful.
Boomer

Back