Surround Speaker Placement/question

dwalder

Hello,

In my current house, the builder wired the rear speakers before the drywall was put up....These speakers are placed about 5 feet behind the couch, however they are facing downwards (as in towards the floor). There does not seem to be a way to place speakers in the rear wall which is a total of 10 feet from the couch.

My question: Does it matter if the rear speakers are facing downwards or should I install a "box speaker" that is mounted to the celing instead? If rear speakers are acceptable, are there any that would make this situation "better"?

Thanks for your help.

DWalder

In my current house, the builder wired the rear speakers before the drywall was put up....These speakers are placed about 5 feet behind the couch, however they are facing downwards (as in towards the floor). There does not seem to be a way to place speakers in the rear wall which is a total of 10 feet from the couch.

My question: Does it matter if the rear speakers are facing downwards or should I install a "box speaker" that is mounted to the celing instead? If rear speakers are acceptable, are there any that would make this situation "better"?

Most of the sound that you will get through the rear speakers will work just fine with the speakers pointed down. You could always buy adjustable in-ceiling speakers, that allow you to pivot the driver inside of the speaker, so that it points more toward the listener. Polk and Klipsch both make these type of speakers, although I'm sure there are more out there. You could also just adjust the rear audio higher with your receiver, if you feel that you are not getting enough "surround" out of these speakers.

Hello,

Thanks for your help.

DWalder

It sounds from your description that the wire are in the ceiling. You can use in-ceiling speakers that are either tilted to 15 degrees or that can be adjusted up to 15 degrees and point them a the couch area.

I agree with the two replies so far. I have used the 8" LCR ceiling speakers from Proficient Audio many times and have been pleased with the results. They are angled at 15 degrees to better direct the sound to the listening position.

Back