Need whole house audio/video advice

kjp

Hi,
I was wondering if someone can help me with my house setup.
Forgive me if this is hard to understand and I will make this as simple as possible.

Setup:
5 zones total
2 are audio only
2 are surround sound theaters
1 stereo tv
All speakers are hardwired to basement
Cat 5,hdmi wire and component are wired to all TVs

Requirement needed:
I am looking for a way to tie in both my surround sounds systems with with music zones and capable of video switching
I have 2 sat receivers that I want to be able to watch on any Tv in the house and have surround sound in those zones that have it.
Also be able to have music/tv sound On any speaker except rear speakers in the surround system.

Ideas that I had.
1.Buy a multi zone receiver with independent zones (expensive)
2.russound matrix switch for video(not sure how to handle audio since russound only does stereo and not surround sound)
3.get 2 surround receivers for the theaters and use a russound audio system for the other zones.
4. Use amplifiers to power the music zones and use pre amp output from receivers.

Ideally I would like to have it all uniform in using compatible equipment that will tie into my home automation.

Please let me know if any input or need more from me.
Thanks
Kj

If you get one Denon AVR-3313CI and one Denon AVR-2113CI or their equivalents, it will cover your setup.

My vote is a modified version 3.

You'd use the Russound (or other whole house audio sound) as an input to the AVRs in the TV zones, or share the speakers with a switch.

Pick a whole house controller before spec'ing the subsystems, so you are certain to use compatible devices. Or, use very commonly used devices that can be controlled easily. In other words, don't choose AVRs without IP/232 control, or ones that aren't integration friendly. Browse the CQC and HomeSeer forums to see which models are common my used.

So i am leaning towards this:

1 component matrix switch( will handle the video portion)

Audio (2 Options)
1. 2 basic Surround recievers( to handle home theaters)
1.1 russound mca-c3 audio multizone controller( to control all external sound inputs and non theater zones)

Option 2
1 basic surround reciever(to handle 1st theater)
1 multizone surround receiver( to handle 2nd theator and other non theater zones)

issues:
Option 1 is multiple equipment but should work simpler.
option more expensive, less equipment, harder to configure.

Any thought?
Thanks
KJ

sorry typo

issues:
Option 1 is multiple equipment but should work simpler.
Option 2. more expensive, less equipment, harder to configure.

IMO, your option 1 is going to be more expensive and will be harder to integrate given all different components. And why is option 2 is harder to configure? What kind of HA controller do you have and how do you plan to control the equipment?

i will be using homeseer.

the reason for being more difficult is in atual operations.
i cant find a reciever that will let me run the zones that i need. all the recievers i researched is a give and take, where if one zone is one the other is either off or limited.
example:
running home theater 5.1 in one zone and having 2 zones run just external music at the same time..

Homeseer has plugin for denon amps. The way I understood your setup, you can use 5.1 from each amp for your theaters, 2d (independent) HDMI out for your stereo TV and have each amp to feed your 2 audio only zones. If you want to use separate speakers for your stereo TV then you would have to get a separate basic amp to power those using the zone's variable out. Everything can be controlled by the same protocol, nice and simple, not to mention the denon's app for phone/tablet. If you had more audio only zones then the russound would be a good option, but for what you need it'll be an overkill.

Thanks pitca!!

any recomendations for the model of denon recievers?
do you think their will any conflicts having two recievers or can they be indpendtaly addreesed by homeseer.
so the right feed is going into the correct output zone since i have 2 recievers.

im assuming this will take some laying out and programing in homeseer...

one Denon AVR-3313CI and one Denon AVR-2113CI. Look for denon script for homeseer, then you can rename one script to say denon2.txt and configure each to use the respective port. You'll have to customize it for your situation, but this is the fun part of DIY automation.

Here I use an HAI OPII and Homeseer. That said I am still using the old AB8SS with Homesee and multiple Russound zoned amps (split to HS and HAI).

I do have subzones with MM receivers that are not controlled by HS though but are part of the house audio if that makes any sense?

In a summary; I have 12 audio zones. The bedrooms are subzones of the main house zones (actually they each have their own receivers - TVs et al).

(main MM room is using a 7.1 setup and the master BR is using a 5.1 setup)

The garage is also a subzone of one audio zone with its own audio sources.

The Pioneer MM receivers are also very popular with HS users and HS control and are inexpensive.

I do not today.

Model that is popular is Pioneer VSX 1122.

That said one Homeseer user is running with three Pioneers: Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer 1122

Back