SwitchLinc setting fade rates etc

Markd,

I was thinking that perhaps an easier way (although not as fancy) would be to use 2-way switches. Although I haven't totally thought this one though, here's how I think it could work - If someone turns on the light late at night, your software would see it because of the 2-way communication of the switches. At that point, your software could send an additional command to adjust the light differently from what the setting physically is on the switch.

I used to do this in my bathroom for late at night so it won't be at full brightness. One issue is that it will go to full brightness first, if you ramp rate is too fast, before the software kicks in and adjusts it.

could you not just indirectly control it via the computer? Ie, switch on A1 and the light on A2. The computer then has a macro to turn on A2 to full or 50% depending on the time of day, when triggered by A1?

The switch is physically wired to the light, so you can't really split it up like that. The programming method is the best, assuming it is safe, but it looks like it could be pretty easy to screw up the switches.

Thanks Martin. So as long as the ramp is slow enough for the controller to see the command and get the new one out, it would work. That could work.

I was thinking about bh00's approach, but I'm not sure I can get the pieces that I need- electron is right in that the switch is wired to the light. .. I have a vague recollection that I saw switches that had no local interface- I could put one of those in the box, and then use a stick-on control pad on the outside right where over it.

1) Are there "blind" switches that would fit in a regular box?

2) Is there a single button control pad?

Thanks

Markd

The problem with not having local control is that the lights won't be coming on instantly,which is something the wife/spouse is not going to like :blink:

I just checked my Lightolier switches, looks like they don't support remote programming :blink:

Markd,

Couple of things.

If you put an in-line module in the wall to control the load, you won't have the features you're probably looking for like preset dim, etc.

You could put in what I think you are calling a "blind" switch. Basically it's the real switch that's controlling the load installed somewhere that you won't hit that switch (i.e. - closet) and then put a transmit only switch in the wall. As Electron said though, you would have a delay. The transmitter only switch would talk to the computer that would talk to the "blind" switch.....

It seemed like such a simple idea, too. :p

I guess I'll probably shelve it for now- once I get my controller up and running I'll have to see what the delays looks like to determine what might actually work without being annoying.

Thanks guys!

Markd

The way I approach this is I use a motion sensor in the bathroom and if motion is sensed after 11PM it turns on the potty room light to 5%. After 15 minutes the light is shut off if someone wants to leave it on.

Back