Testing glass break sensors

jmed999

I have 1 glass break sensor and I'm about to install 3 more.  I need to gain some confidence that they will actually work if someone breaks the glass.  I'm using the Interlogix Shatterpro wireless sensor http://www.interlogix.com/intrusion/product/shatterpro-glassbreak-sensors

So I bought the Interlogix glass break tester 5709C http://www.amazon.com/SHATTERPRO-HANDHELD-GLASSBREAK-TESTER-SOUND/dp/B0016LBL50/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1378J6YYPCAMMQ500YF3

I tested the sensor buy placing the tester within 1 in of the sensor and pressing the glass break button for the glass break sound.  This puts the sensor into test mode.  Then I pressed the button near the glass and the sensor lights up for 4 seconds.  According to the directions this means the sensor senses the glass sound and the test worked.  The problem is when I take the test a step further and arm the alarm (with sensor not in test mode) and press the button near the glass the alarm does not go off.  

So when the sensor is in test mode it works, when it's not in test mode and the alarm is armed it does not work.

To gain confidence I would like to test it in real life situation such as when the Elk M1-G is armed.

How can I do this?  Do I need a different tester?  Should the tester set off the alarm when the Elk is armed?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

This came up around here a few months ago.
Only way to test in operational mode is to break a window.

The glass breaks use a combination of sound and vibration to detect a breaking window.
In test mode the vibration sensor is disabled, the tester tests only the sound sensor.

The professionals here have high confidence in the glass break sensors IIRC.

I've accidentally set mine off by tapping on the sensor with my finger while it was armed.

So all glass break sensors including the one I have uses vibration and sound?  If so, does the sensor need to detect both to alarm?  In other words, it wont alarm on sound alone?

Thanks!

I believe that is the case. (to all three questions).

<guess> The vibration may be sufficient from a smashed window increasing the pressure level (or shock waves) inside the house.

As you discovered, if you use the tester without going into test mode, but playing the correct sound, the sensor won't trip.

It's normal for the sensor not to respond to the tester when the sensor is not in test mode.  I don't know how you can test it for real, unless you want to break a real pane of glass.

This is from the installation instructions for the Shatterpro II sensor:

HOW TEST MODE WORKS

The Pattern Recognition Technology™ of the ShatterPro™ II ignores false alarm sounds, including hand-held glassbreak
testers. In order to test the ShatterPro™ II, a test mode is used. With the sensor in test mode, portions of the glass
break pattern processing are disabled. The ShatterPro™ II is then listening only for those frequencies which determine
sensor range, as reproduced by the 5709C tester.

CHECKING THE SHATTERPRO™ II

The ShatterPro™ II can be checked by the installer or enduser while in normal mode, simply by clapping hands loudly
under the sensor. The LED will blink twice, but the sensor will not trip. This verifies visually that the microphone and
circuit board are functioning.

IN NORMAL MODE, THE SHATTERPRO™ II WILL NOT TRIP TO THE TESTER, UNLESS THE TESTER IS
HELD ON TOP OF THE SENSOR.

I'm not sure if the trick of holding the tester on top of the sensor also applies to the sensor you have.

Yeah, on my wireless shatterpro (not the wired shattepro II) I can press the sound button on the tester within 1 inch of the sensor and it will then be in test mode.  The LED will light up for 4 seconds letting you know it's in test mode.  I can test it fine that way but would like to test it for real without breaking a window.

I won't comment about shatterboxes and pros...I stopped using them years ago and I'll leave it at that.

When glass is broken there are 2 distinct events, FLEX and the BREAK. Glass before it breaks will actually bend "FLEX" and then the sound of breaking glass will occur. The science behind the detectors is the events need to happen in sequence and within a specific time in addition to the breaking sound matching a pattern that the unit recognizes.

Old school audio discriminators are easy to overwhelm with high volume noise, we had a college campus about 20 years back that had GBD's in the dorm rooms that always falsed....we had to install security screens. The culprit was the boom boxes and loud music. We also had a large furniture store that started having false alarms for no apparent reason or explanation. Detectors replaced, adjusted and working fine. Ended up being loud trucks and construction and the chirps for low batteries on their HV smokes that occurred at an exact moment of time to cause the event.

That said, there have been a lot of advances over the years and there are better detectors than others. The biggest issues arise with recycled engineering and designs with little product advancement.

That's great info DEL!!!

Unfortunately I don't think I have many choices on glass break sensors.  I have an Elk M1G and the Elk M1RF2G.  With that in mind I think the GE Shatterpro is my only choice.  I hope you can point me in another direction.  Thanks!

Back