[Thermostat] Omnistat 2 (RC-1000 & RC-2000)

Thank-you Trey for the post here on CT.

Its been a few years now using the OmniStat 2 here.  Well I purchased it when first introduced but it just for a year or so before I installed it.

It is serially connected to my OmniPro II panel and works well.

I am wanting to play with the Zigbee version of the Omnistat 2. 

I have been told but never specifically asked Leviton HAI support if the Zigbee Omnistat 2 works works using serial or Zigbee.

Is that so?  Can I purchase said ZIgbee Omnistat 2 and still use it with my serial transport to the OPII panel or switch it to Zigbee use?

I am going slow with this Zigbee stuff and only testing one combo hub which talks ZIgbee today.

Hi Pete!  Thanks for your comment!  To answer your question, YES, absolutely, the Zigbee version of either Omnistat 2 model (RC-1000 or RC-2000) can also instead be used with a hard-wired serial connection, using the same 3-wire method (to zone 16, output 8 and any ground on the main Omni board) as the non-Zigbee-capable models.  I actually get that question quite a bit, so I'm glad you asked it.  Now it's documented right here, which I hope will benefit others in the future.

*PLEASE* feel free to PM me with any home security / home automation-related questions, any time you like Pete!  Thanks again for your comment!

Thank you Trey. 

I have been wanting to play with Zigbee / OPII stuff for a while now.  I primarily utilize UPB but have X10 and Z-Wave controllers on the OPII. 

Adding Zigbee will provide me with more choices of trinkets to connect to the panel.

Another question.  Currently utilize remote temperature sensor plus OPII temperature and temperature / humidity sensors. 

Will a remote Omnistat 2 remote humdity sensor ever be available or is there one in the works?

Please say hello to Martin from the CT folks (and I). 

pete_c said:
Thank you Trey. 

Will a remote Omnistat 2 remote humidity sensor ever be available or is there one in the works?

The only humidity sensor in production (or the pipeline, AFAIK) is the extended range outdoor temp and humidity sensor, but it does not connect to or interact with the Omnistat directly - it connects to the main Omni board, and takes up 2 zones (one for temp, and 1 for humidity).  Having said that, I have helped people effectively pull off what (I presume) you'd like to do here, using some creative automation blocks to allow the current humidity level, as measured by the zoned humidity sensor, to trigger rules that toggle relays running humidifiers and/or dehumidifiers.  So what you want can be done.  There's *almost* ALWAYS a way.

FYI pete... My favorite part about this job is when someone tells me something isn't possible.  In fact, such a comment is what led me to assist an installer in making a home-owner very happy by performing the hack(ish) trick described above!

I've long wanted to install one of the RC1000 Tstat's, but since I only run my furnace about 3 months out of the year and don't have/need any AC, I haven't yet justified the expense of a new thermostat. :(   I check out Ebay occasionally to see if there are ever any cheap used ones, but I never see any.

Thank you Trey.

Yup today have extended temperature / temperature humdity sensors out from the HAI OPII panel.  I also have one extended temperature sensor from the Omnistat2.

OK so can I configured the OPII panel multiple Humidity sensors plus Omnistat build in humidity sensors to use an average humidity level setting thing via the OPII?

I have a "box o" HAI OPII stuff that I have not installed; procrastinating some I guess.

I also have an extensive 1-wire network with temperature/humidity sensors literally all over the home (in every room and hallway and attic and outside these days).

Can you please post you programming blocks on the OPII panel to do this?

pete_c said:
OK so can I configure the OPII panel's multiple Humidity sensors plus Omnistats' built-in humidity sensors to use an average humidity level setting thing via the OPII?

I have a "box o" HAI OPII stuff that I have not installed; procrastinating some I guess.

I also have an extensive 1-wire network with temperature/humidity sensors literally all over the home (in every room and hallway and attic and outside these days).

Can you please post you programming blocks on the OPII panel to do this?

You can only do this with the temp/humidity sensors connected to the main OPII board,  The internal and remote sensors that are connected through the Omnistats....  cannot be combined/averaged (at least not in any way that I'm aware of) using automation blocks in PC Access, because PC Access cannot "see" the readings from the remote sensors connected through the Omnistats.  They can only be used to take an "averaged" reading between the single internal thermistor (and up to 3 remote thermistors that can be connected to the t-stat's back-plate), *with one-another*, locally within each thermostat, which affects the current ambient temp on each thermostat, which can be used in automation blocks. So in effect, they can be used *indirectly*, but there is no way in PC Access to have a rule take a direct reading or average from specified remote Omnistat temp sensors, other than the single current ambient temp reading being reported by each thermostat, and that value can be influenced by averaging up to four sensors per thermostat.  [SIZE=13.6000022888184px] Does that make sense?[/SIZE]

Yes it does Trey.

Today my Omnistat just does an average twix the remote temperature sensor plugged into the thermostat.  The value I see on the OPII is the average of the two temperature sensors (built in and remote).

Can I do this though averaging multiple OPII connected HAI humidity sensors and controlling the Omnistat2 and controlling the humidifier from the Omnistat2?

I have an old friend that was in the HVAC business who told me many many years ago the best sensor for the humidity in the house was the one that came with the humdifier with its internal and external sensors and not to utilize remote humidity sensors for the humidifier. 

I have two Omnistat2 RC 1000 thermostats that worked well for almost two years.  Suddenly they both stopped communicating with my HAI panel.  Any advice on repair costs or should I just purchase new thermostats?  Are they known to fail?  I really like the automation but feel like every dollar I've saved just went up in smoke if I have to purchase two more.

PS.  Sorry if I've not followed proper etiquette, I'm new to support blogs.

Welcome to Cocoontech rockflite.

Call up / write to Leviton / HAI technical support.

For Product Support or Technical Issues:
Leviton Security & Automation products

Telephone:
  • Mon-Fri 7:30 AM-6:00 PM Central Time
  • 1-800-229-7256 or 504-736-9810
E-mail:

Under two years looks to be under warranty per manual dated:February, 2010

LIMITED WARRANTY

HAI warrants this product against defects in material and workmanship, under normal use and service, for a period of two (2) ye
ars from the date of purchase.
  During the warranty period, HAI will repair or replace, at its sole option, if this product fails due to defect.  This warranty does not cover the cost of removal or re-installation of any product.  

This warranty does not cover failure caused by normal wear, damage to the product while in your possession (other than damage caused by defect or malfunction), or by its improper installation, including failure to follow the written installation and operation instructions, alterations, misuse, or abuse.

The remedies provided for in this warranty are the sole and exclusive remedies thereof.  In no event shall HAI be liable for incidental expenses or consequential loss or damages.  

For the complete HAI Warranty for USA policy, see the HAI web site at www.homeauto.com.

Any implied warranties, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for particular use or purpose are limited to a peri
od of two (2) years from purchase date.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other legal rights, which vary from state to state.  Some limitations may not apply to you.

For warranty and repair service within the continental United States, send defective unit carefully packaged, postage prepaid,
along with description of trouble, name, return address, and phone number to:

HAI, Repair Department,
4330 Michoud Blvd,
New Orleans, LA, 70129. 

HAI will pay return shipping charges via normal ground service.
Outside of the continental United States: Contact an Authorized Distributor for repair/replacement instructions.

Document Number 65I00-2 / Rev B / February, 2010
Copyright ©
2008-2010 Home Automation, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

rockflite said:
I have two Omnistat2 RC 1000 thermostats that worked well for almost two years.  Suddenly they both stopped communicating with my HAI panel.  Any advice on repair costs or should I just purchase new thermostats?  Are they known to fail?  I really like the automation but feel like every dollar I've saved just went up in smoke if I have to purchase two more.

PS.  Sorry if I've not followed proper etiquette, I'm new to support blogs.
Zigbee or wires?  They both "stopped" the same day?  I have several and they seem to work quite well.

Back