This woman actually got her webcam money back

That is freaking Awesome! I wish everyone could be that lucky to actually catch the criminals in the act before they get away.

Steve_s_Plumber.jpgSteve_s_Plumber_money.jpg
My friend caught a plumber stealing

They suspected the plumber stole some money, so they set up a webcam, and caught him the second time. He didn't steal any the second time, though - just went through the drawers, and went through the money. The guy was fired from the plumbing company, and my friend got some plumbing done very cheaply.

I work from home. About two months ago a guy backed his truck into my driveway and knocked on my door. I answered and he told me he came to put brick around my planter. I replied that I didn't hire anyone to work on my house and pointed him the the home two doors down from me where they were doing construction.

Later that day I heard from a different neighbor, the same house, two doors down, was burglarized. They took construction equipment, a checkbook, computers, and other items. A third neighbor had witnessed the same guy pull into my driveway and then leave with a truck bed full of stuff from the house two doors down from me.

The good news is I have a camera with a DVR pointing at my driveway. I was able to provide a video of the truck and a decent picture of the suspects face. The detective working the case was quite happy and commented that they usually don't get the quality of information I was able to provide. I wish I would have installed a better quality camera to watch my driveway. I could have captured a usable license plate number. All I had was blur.

Unfortunately the criminal is still at large.

Since this incident occurred, I have added more cameras and upgraded my camera watching the driveway. I was also told the guy knocking on my door was casing my house. He already had his story ready to go if someone answered the door.

Hopefully my posting will help someone else.

Rod

I think some sign stating you have an alarm system and cameras may deter the majority of burglars...not sure if it would make them think you had something valuable...but breaking into a house that you know has a security system to find out seems a bit of a stretch.

If they know you have something valuable and they want it nothing can stop them... everybody knows the approximate response time for the police and a pick up truck without license plates and some skimask ramming through your door and they are in and out before the police can get there...

The thing that troubles me is that this person ONLY installed a webcamera AND she had to be manually watching it.

Why did she not invest in a security system?

The thing that troubles me is that she was sucking up company paid bandwidth by watching streaming video of her house from work. That crap is expensive for businesses, and i'll bet she's constantly on it now.

The thing that troubles me is that she was sucking up company paid bandwidth by watching streaming video of her house from work. That crap is expensive for businesses, and i'll bet she's constantly on it now.

Oh please...it probably takes up FAR less bandwidth than the netflix she was surely watching before. :D

If a company is looking to save a few dollars, this might be a good option. Written rules about computer use, monitored by sys admin. How many people followed the NCAA tourey at work, at at what cost?

It's up to the boss. No rule, no problem.

How about a different idea. Have your camera MMS you(via email) a still photo when it senses motion, that can alert you to a problem. If you couple this with a phone-based camera viewer, great security without having to monitor it.

The easiest way to email a still picture based on a motion trigger is a PC based automation package. But I imagine there are some hardware devices that do this too. I just ran accross one, the visiontech VIP1, that can email a picture when it detects motion, and I'm assuming a number of devices do that.

Back