Thoughts on occupancy sensing?

garbled

I'm planning out the next stage of my home automation, and one of the things I'm trying to do is achieve some kind of automatic occupancy sensing for the lights. 

I cannot easily cut the door jambs apart and wire in homemade beam breaks, so I'm trying to think of other possible solutions.  Right now, my thought is the Leviton ultrasonic/PIR ceiling and wall mount sensors.  Problem with those, is that they directly control a load, and I don't have any loads anywhere near where I would put them.

I'm wondering if I could somehow wire in one of the newer insteon microswitches with a sense wire, but hooked up to nothing on the other side.

Anyone have any other ideas?  I keep poking around, but the only other stuff I can find is purely PIR, which I don't think will be good enough for real occupancy.

Sensor Switch makes very good 12VDC PIR and Dual Tech (microphone and PIR) occupancy sensors that have LV or relay outputs to tie into a HA system.

garbled said:
I'm wondering if I could somehow wire in one of the newer insteon microswitches with a sense wire, but hooked up to nothing on the other side.
That would work. They don't need to have anything connected to the load wire.

Hi , ye, that is really too simple now.

You can use the ZigBee wireless devices to help you.

For the lights, no need to change them , just replace the switches .

And you want realize the function that when the PIR detector detect somebody come then the lights would turning on automatically , right?

Easy, too.

Using the wireless IR motion detector and make a linkage with the light , then all it is done.

Of course , the hardware need all into your ZigBee network.

Oh , with thesetting of  linkage, software for free could help you.

Some time ago I developed software that many use for occupancy sensing.
There is a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi version both have their plus and minuses.
Currently they interface with X10 PC interfaces for X10 control of lights.
However you could send a  command to another program that uses something else like Zwave.
That is if the program will allow command line arguments.
More info on my programs can be found on my forum http://tuicemen.com/forum
Another developed by Nitrogen logic will now also send a command line argument to another program.

Back