Tips on mounting devices in a can?

bobr

Can anyone offer suggestions on mounting Elk M1 devices, patch blocks, ... in leviton or onq cans?

I prefer not to drill a bunch of holes in the metal, and the holes for push pins are never efficient.

I use sticky velcro for the elk and other devices now, but that doesn't work for 110 style patch blocks that i prefer to have easy access to the back of.

Most of the pictures i see here people have an entire closet with plywood to mount to. Sadly, i don't have that, just 3 42" cans.

also, any suggests on wire management devices?

Bob

Thanks for the pointer to the pics. They were helpful.

Where did you get the plastic wire management channel? i have been looking for something like that, but haven't found it yet.

I had thought about plywood in the back of the can, but it was looking for a better way.

bobr said:
Can anyone offer suggestions on mounting Elk M1 devices, patch blocks, ... in leviton or onq cans?

I prefer not to drill a bunch of holes in the metal, and the holes for push pins are never efficient.

I use sticky velcro for the elk and other devices now, but that doesn't work for 110 style patch blocks that i prefer to have easy access to the back of.

Most of the pictures i see here people have an entire closet with plywood to mount to. Sadly, i don't have that, just 3 42" cans.

also, any suggests on wire management devices?

Bob
I have run into the same problem as you a couple times Bob. I like to put my switches and routers, patch panels, etc in the SW cans and it get difficult sometimes. I use velcro pretty extensively for the flat devices. It's clean and fairly easy to change around if you get more components or make a mistake. For patch panels, I've found no better way then doing some drilling. On my last install, I hinged the patch panel I put in on one side by drilling into the can and attaching the other side of the hinge to the block. Then used velco on the other side to secure it. Allows me to swing the panel out to get access to the back, but still looks fairly neat.

--Jamie

Back