ToggleLinc or SwitchLinc?

aehusted

I have seen some complaints here about Insteon switches not holding up over time and other QC issues. I have was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on using SwitchLincs vs. ToggleLincs? I assume that they are electronically identical, but does one seem to hold up better than the other? Is the failure rate similar? Also, how do the ICON versions stand up in this department?

On a related note, if they do break at some point, what store handles returns the best?

Thanks!

I personally use SwitchLincs, and have had a few go bad - but not many like some people have experienced. The most common failures seem to have been due to a tact switch failure. SmartHome has recently started using an upgraded tact switch to avoid this in the future.

I haven't heard of any common failures with ToggleLincs, though some people have reported that they will turn "on" after a power failure. Definitely a problem if you experience a lot of power failures in your home. Apparently, however, SmartHome has fixed this in a recent firmware update.

So, with either product the most common issues have recently been addressed. If I were you, I would base my decision on style at this point - which look are you going for?

I've never had any problems returning a bad switch to SmartHome.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info MikeB.
I guess something good might come out of postponing this project for so long :lol:
As for the style question, that is probably the only part that my wife will want a say in, so it looks like she will be deciding.

Thanks for the info MikeB.
I guess something good might come out of postponing this project for so long :lol:
As for the style question, that is probably the only part that my wife will want a say in, so it looks like she will be deciding.

If you are sure you want to go with Insteon there is a 20% off sale this week at SH I think (I didnt check just heard about it). I have 10% off my next order and free shipping because of an oversight on my last order so I might order some non Insteon stuff myself.

Keep in mind the togglelincs return to the middle position and don't stay up or down. Sometimes the decorator police don't like that. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up. I just noticed that sale today.
I posted the details of the smarthome offer Here

If you are sure you want to go with Insteon there is a 20% off sale this week at SH I think (I didnt check just heard about it). I have 10% off my next order and free shipping because of an oversight on my last order so I might order some non Insteon stuff myself.

I use togglelincs. They definitely could use a more robust feel compared to the the HD Leviton commercial switches (the $3 to $4 switches) but I chose the toggles due to the known issues the Switchlincs used to have. Still only have a few of the TL's though the rest of my devices are Lamplincs, applincelinc, and Keypadlincs. Good to see the sale info, also. I am unfortunately on a spending freeze due to the proximity of X Mas. (yes I do get HA stuff and other cool stuff for X Mas)

Back