Trying to get started with Omni Pro II

PC Access is a lot stronger than most people think. It may not be the prettiest or most user-friendly, but it's powerful. 

As far as apps, you can pretty much use any home automation app that allows encryption keys to be entered, hostname, and port. 

Snap-Link is sold by Leviton. We also use the Space app here, and a few others.

ComponY said:
PC Access is a lot stronger than most people think. It may not be the prettiest or most user-friendly, but it's powerful. 

As far as apps, you can pretty much use any home automation app that allows encryption keys to be entered, hostname, and port. 

Snap-Link is sold by Leviton. We also use the Space app here, and a few others.

Really starting to question posts from ComponY - just odd statements overall.  PC Access is a lot stronger than people think?  It is used for configuring your panel, nothing else.  How is it "so powerful"?

As far as apps.... An odd statement that you can use any HA app that allows encryption keys to be entered.  What?  That's not a standard feature for apps.  You can only use the handful of apps that are built specifically to work with the HAI OmniPro panels.

JonW said:
Really starting to question posts from ComponY - just odd statements overall.  PC Access is a lot stronger than people think?  It is used for configuring your panel, nothing else.  How is it "so powerful"?

As far as apps.... An odd statement that you can use any HA app that allows encryption keys to be entered.  What?  That's not a standard feature for apps.  You can only use the handful of apps that are built specifically to work with the HAI OmniPro panels.

I have used about 10 HA applications that ask for the Key 1 and 2. Omni is one of the biggest controllers for home automation. Before you keep posting, do some research. You're going around saying things sound fishy, and weird.....

Clearly if you did some digging around or worked in the industry, you would understand that. PCAccess is capable of doing a lot. Checking the status of Zones, temperatures, and it's able to control your system too. You can send commands, learn in your lights, etc. It also lets you program the board. Limitless are endless when using PCA, especially with the programming. 

No, I don't work for Leviton, but I've used the products.

Hi,

While you can control aspects of your OPII system from PC Access it's primary function is configuring the OPII system.

I've installed OPII systems and like them for what they do but I certainly wouldn't use one if I wanted to do extensive home automation - there are numerous more powerful and versatile systems available.

For example if I was installing a Elan g! home automation system the OPII would only have a place if the customer needed and wanted an integrated security system.

As to "Key 1" and "Key 2" - an application has to be designed from the ground up to work with the OPII - those values are not some home automation "standard" that lots of others system use.

Frederick C. Wilt said:
Hi,

While you can control aspects of your OPII system from PC Access it's primary function is configuring the OPII system.

I've installed OPII systems and like them for what they do but I certainly wouldn't use one if I wanted to do extensive home automation - there are numerous more powerful and versatile systems available.

For example if I was installing a Elan g! home automation system the OPII would only have a place if the customer needed and wanted an integrated security system.

As to "Key 1" and "Key 2" - an application has to be designed from the ground up to work with the OPII - those values are not some home automation "standard" that lots of others system use.

I completely agree. Not sure what JonW's problem is, but I was just saying that the OPII is pretty powerful if you know your way around it.

The OPII is very popular and there's a ton of apps that support it now. Obviously it's not a standard or a base for a lot of HA things, but there are a TON on the market now. 

ComponY said:
I completely agree. Not sure what JonW's problem is, but I was just saying that the OPII is pretty powerful if you know your way around it.

The OPII is very popular and there's a ton of apps that support it now. Obviously it's not a standard or a base for a lot of HA things, but there are a TON on the market now. 

As happens on many online forums, a new account appears, puts forth sage advice, then starts trying to sell items to people.

You may be a legit person - that I don't know.  What I'll tell you though is that your short time here mirrors that of a scammer.  That may not be the case, but the quality of some of your posts and your quick move to selling items doesn't pass my smell test.  But, that's just me.

ComponY said:
but there are a TON on the market now. 

I would be interested in what you consider a TON to be - I don't know all that many that are worth considering.

In relationship to this subject, I have a OPII board and Dealer PC Access software.  Notwithstanding, that I'll have to program the software, which I've done with X10 and realize that HLC is a little different I'd like to start with the basics.  If I wanted just to be able via software to turn on/off one lamp that I have plugged in, what 2/3/4 devices/items would I need just to do that one basic function using UPB outside of the OPII board?

Thanks.

Ddawg

DeputyDawg said:
In relationship to this subject, I have a OPII board and Dealer PC Access software.  Notwithstanding, that I'll have to program the software, which I've done with X10 and realize that HLC is a little different I'd like to start with the basics.  If I wanted just to be able via software to turn on/off one lamp that I have plugged in, what 2/3/4 devices/items would I need just to do that one basic function using UPB outside of the OPII board?

Thanks.

Ddawg
So if you go with HLC (with Leviton UPB switches) then the panel can program the switches even without PC Access.  But the other software that can program your HLC switches is UPStart, from PCS. (They created the UPB standard.) http://www.pcslighting.com/pulseworx

The PC software is free, but you have to register.  As for hardware you need a powerline interface which basically is a powerline modem that plugs into 120V and connects to a PC via USB or serial.  You will also need the one that Leviton sells to connect to the panel via a serial cable. Its the 36A00-1.

Now once you get UPStart running on a PC, and a powerline interface, you can program switches and control them from your PC. I think that is what you were asking about.

ano,

If I understand your post it would require a special wall switch receptacle, a powerline modem that plugs into my PC, a 36A00-1, and the free PC software.  Using this would mean I have to have my PC on all the time for the devices to work.  All Correct? 

But this would mean that I would have to control it outside of my PC ACCESS software that is my OPII board control software.  Correct?

I guess I'm just basically looking for X and Y which I guess is harder than I thought.

PC Access Software ------  OPII Board ---------  X that connects to OPII -------  Y that I connect lamp to.... and then I program PC Access to turn lamp on/off

Back