Turn on the attic lights when the stairs come down.

beelzerob

We have a storage area over our garage, accessible by a set of stairs that we pull down. To turn on the light, you have to almost go all the way up the stairs.

What would make more sense to me is if the lights came on when the stairs were brought down and turned off when the stairs were put back up. So maybe some kind of plunger switch that can be triggered by the edge of the stairs?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm definitely looking for the cheap, simple, reliable, mechanical, non-HA solution.

Well, I'd have to move things around to get the light above the stairs. And there's been a few times when we're down in the garage and decide we're done...and then realize we left the lights on up there. Minor I know...but it just makes sense to me that when the stairs come down, the lights come on, and vice versa.

All the contacts and stuff so far have been low voltage, right? So what, I'd connect it to a relay? That's getting borderline complicated. I just thought there would be a regular voltage plunger switch, or some kind of something for this purpose. Is this really that rare of an application?

Lowe's has a switch that is designed to mount in a door jamb and turn on/off a light when the door is opened and closed. It is rectangular with a small plunger sticking out. Installation is easy. I installed this switch on our pull-down attic door in a previous house. I just looked for it online but can not find it. I'm sure they still carry is as I saw them at my local Lowe's last week. They are around $25-30.

Edit: Here's one online from a different company to give you an idea. The Lowe's one looks just like it...

Terry

An easy way would be to add an X10 socket rocket and a key chain remote and a small RF receiver. Tape the key chain remote to the stairs. These devices are being offered by many for the cost of shipping.
Here's an X10 sale that has a remote, rf receiver, socket rocket, and a chime for $24.99. This is everything your need to automte this with no wires to run.

http://www.x10.com/onsale/

I think Roussell has the winner, if I can find it at our local Lowes. Simple, mechanical switch. The X10 stuff is interesting, for the price...but just a guess that at least SOME of it would rely on battery power? I'd like to avoid that too.

Good suggestions, all. Thanks!

I think Roussell has the winner, if I can find it at our local Lowes. Simple, mechanical switch. The X10 stuff is interesting, for the price...but just a guess that at least SOME of it would rely on battery power? I'd like to avoid that too.

Good suggestions, all. Thanks!
Only the remote and the ones I use have been in service for almost 6 year and I've vever replaced the battery in the remote.

We have a storage area over our garage, accessible by a set of stairs that we pull down. To turn on the light, you have to almost go all the way up the stairs.

What would make more sense to me is if the lights came on when the stairs were brought down and turned off when the stairs were put back up. So maybe some kind of plunger switch that can be triggered by the edge of the stairs?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm definitely looking for the cheap, simple, reliable, mechanical, non-HA solution.

something more simple?

http://www.smarthome.com/2512/Screw-In-Mot...r-Switch/p.aspx

something more simple?

http://www.smarthome.com/2512/Screw-In-Mot...r-Switch/p.aspx
I don't know Beelzerob well but I'm thinking 29.99 is not cheap enuff....? Plunger switch wired directly to the lamp sounds cheap. Low tech but cheap potential is there.

Back