Ubiquiti UniFi Long Range Access Point -UAP-LR-US

pete_c

Guru
Looking to purchase one of these (well more than one).  Not sure if this is the one I should get.

Once its configured via Ubiquiti software; will it be running by itself as an AP or will I need to do anything else to it.

(Updating neighbors AP's too).

I have one and it replaced 3 APs in my home.

Just connect to your LAN, configure and you're done.

Thank-you Jay. 

Yup; currently here been using one Ubiquti Nanostation Loco in the attic.  Its been a few years now and looking to upgrade.

I'm kind of interested too... My house has some dead coverage areas.

I think someone on here is an authorized reseller?

I'm probably the reseller you're thinking of - I use these products quite a bit and have sold them to several cocooners.

Pete - the NanoStation uses AirOS which is pretty powerful but it's a different beast altogether to set up.  The Unifi software is really slick - I've done all levels of networking and when I first configured a UniFi network, I was shocked at just how fast it went online and how little I had to do.  Once you've configured it, you don't need to leave the software running unless you want to gather statistics or need to do a captive portal.  When it really gets amazing is when you have more than one AP that you need to configure - you literally plug in the additional AP, open the software, and click "Adopt" on the new one - and it's now an extension of your network - I mean, it's so simple, if you don't understand what goes into properly creating a multi-AP network without it, it's hard to appreciate - and even most IT people I know don't have a clue as to what's involved in doing it right (you have to manually choose staggered non-overlapping channels, but use the same SSID and Encryption/passcode so the client device can't tell the difference).  In addition, you can also do multiple SSID's (guest in isolation mode, normal access; and even specify VLAN to isolate different types of traffic all from the same AP).  Since you run two homes, it would be pretty easy to have them both connect to a single controller over the internet and share all the same settings if you wanted, even though they're on physically separate networks.

The newest version of the OS also has multi-tenancy, so if you had server resources that were connected, you could have one controller for you, your neighbor, etc - and they run on really lightweight instances of Linux; I've got instances on an Amazon AWS install and on some super low powered fanless utility PC's.  I'm in the process of setting up a single multi-tennant controller install in my data center to consolidate all my separate servers out there right now; with any luck that'll be online next week (well, it's ready and online - just have to move the AP's to report in to it).  The other great feature of the newest controller software is Zero Handoff which really helps out for someone who's roaming around their property - and it eliminates the Channel Interference problems of the past (as slightly eluded to above) by having all your AP's operate on the same channel.  

Just today I was out at an install I did when UniFi first came out about 18 months ago - a 28-unit apartment complex (100yr old buildings) served by just 5 UAP-LR-US AP's -~35 connected users at any given time (up to 50 in the evening); ~40GB traffic/day.  Other than a defective cable, it's been rock solid, as has my single UAP-LR-US that covers my 4K sq ft house with ease; and I have a 2300 acre property I support that has ~20 of the outdoor models driving cameras, point of sale payment, wifi for cell phones, etc - all with amazing coverage - that one has a tower running the Rockets and Nano's in the 5Ghz range for backhaul feeding the connection to the UAP's and connecting from the tower back to an office at the edge of the property using the nanobridges - it's a Ubiquiti ad in itself.  That one is going on 2 years and has totally changed their lives with everything it's opened up (mostly the ~25 IP Cameras they monitor constantly)... and we're about to lay VOIP on top of that as well.

Just some of my success stories with it - they really have a great product line that's amazingly affordable.  The margins on it are nearly non-existent but I still tend to save CTers a few bucks where I can so feel free to PM me if you want - I also have realtime visibility into US stock levels (these products are often backordered due to the unbelievable demand worldwide).

Sorry this is so long... but just to add - the UAP-LR-US is the best coverage in a 2.4; it does use proprietary POE injectors (compatible with standard 802.3af with the use of their $20 adapter); the Pro gets you into 802.3af POE and higher MIMO capacity but theoretically loses a little bit of gain; they also have the AC units which are pricey - I'm waiting 2 years before I make that move; then they have just as many outdoor varieties now if you want awesome outdoor coverage (I've done 1500' near line of sight).  So if you just want 2.4, the LR is good; if you want dual band, I'd go Pro - and I know you've got the POE infrastructure for your cameras - so that'd also get you standard POE making things cleaner.

Thanks WorktoPlay. 

Yup the NanoStation is the very first AP that I didn't modify or replace the firmware on.  I have left it alone. 

The AirOS was a plugnplay configuration.

It is more uni-directionally mounted in the attic.  (its on one side angled down to the house)

A UAP-LR-US would provide me with a "better" omnidirectional footprint mounted on in the center of the second floor ceiling.

I was at the neighbors home a couple of nights ago.  I did set them up with a modded DD-WRT AP / combo years ago.  When they had one wireless laptop to use in the house.

The modded DD-WRT box is in the basement literally adjacent to the fuse panel such that I know that it's not really doing well wirelessly up two floors in the home.  All of their kids are always using some sort of wireless device; tablets, phones or laptops or games. 

I have to upgrade them. (thus picking your Ubiquti expertise here).

On another note I am starting to play a bit with 802.11AC stuff and mostly curious right now about the differences.  (so yeah will update my stuff but most likely will stay in the 2.4 Ghz radio range and play a bit more with the 5 Ghz radio stuff).  The multimedia XBMC boxes are all still connected via Gb today.  Started testing though with one wireless tabletop tablet which does do automation and does have streaming video stuff on it; initially putting it on an autonomous wireless network by itself right now to compare the performance of it being wired (Gb) to wireless.  That and I am remote controlling it with the mothership as the other wired ones are.

Though I don't have this specific product, I do like the Ubiquiti line (I have the Picostation).  Also, the advantage we have here is Work2Play's expertise on this product/manufacturer!

Work2Play, I just send you a PM.  I think I'm in definite need of some help figuring out what to order.

Back