United Security Products Pressure Mats (Any Experience With One?)

BraveSirRobbin

I'm interested in possibly obtaining some United Security Product's Pressure Mats and am wondering if anyone here has any experience with them.

I DID try to call their technical support (858-699-6944) but the person there was VERY rude, unfriendly, and obviously had no interest in helping me (I love those 'one word' answers to questions like "YES" and nothing else. Better yet when I asked about their wireless receiver options he stated "What about them" at which point I just stated that he seemed like he had no desire to help and then hung up).

Anyway, hopefully I will have better luck getting some information here ;) ! Better yet, I would love to find an alternative product so I don't have to give United Security Products any of my business!

What I'm interested in is an 'off the shelf' pressure mat that can provide a contact closure when a person steps on it. I also need to have this work in an outdoor/bitter cold environment and am a little worried about the product becoming brittle in sub-freezing temperatures.

I am also worried about long term durability (like what happens when someone is shoveling snow off of it).

I would also like a quick disconnect connector but this isn't a 'must have'.

I also noticed that some are stainless steel models. How do these perform compared to the standard models? Would it be worth the increased cost?

Which would work better under a front door mat? Does it matter where you step on the pad or would it uniformly trigger a contact closure? Is the closure duration for as long as someone is stepping on the mat (I'm worried about this closure being to quick and not detected with my HA application)?

This will not be used for me, thus the need for as much as an off the shelf application as possible.

If the pricing seems reasonable, I would may even get a couple of different models and do a product review on them.

I did a search and found some of our members used a Harbor Freight item in the past, but this product seems to be no longer available.

Does anyone know of any alternative solutions for outdoor pressure mats?

Thanks,

BSR

Based on your pre-sales experience with United Security's tech support AND the the ZippSwitch Video I would say ZippSwitch would get my vote.

I have used http://www.milleredge.com/ for gate edge sensors but none of their mats. They were very reliable.

Wouldn't recommend the USP mats outside or anywhere subject to weather or physical damage. Also, anywhere where some debris could get stuck between it and the surface above or below, there's going to be problems with longevity.

What sort of action/project are you attempting and budget?

One of the probs with tech support is that they're not often trained in sales. IMO, though, that's more often a benefit. Try contacting a local/regional rep.

The Harbor Freight product wouldn't last 10 minutes in a harsh environment and the vinyl would crack in just a few days in sub freezing temps but then again they were only a few dollars.

BSR,

I saw this thread today and I can help you with a solution. I know it has been a couple of years since you first posted. We manufacture a pressure sensitive mat that will meet your requirements. Not only are our Safety Mats extremly durable, the temperature range is -40 to 180F. Our mats are used on transit buses (wheel chair lifts) which are exposed to snow, rain, water, dirt etc. If you are still in the market, I would be very happy to work with you.

regards,
John Grzan, President Zippswitch Products

Back