UPB switch Question

pjpete

I was wondering if someone could provide some assistance as it relates to the US2-40. I’ve installed some HAI 35A00-1's, US11-30's and US2-40's as a beginning to my transition from x-10 to UPB. With the first two switches I have them setup with a single tap to control the local load and then the double tap to activate the link that both control my other UPB linked devices and M1 rules for the corresponding x-10 switches.

Problem is I can't figure out how to accomplish this with the US2-40. It seems the local load has to be part of the link which does not allow the flexibility of just controling the local load and not sending the link with a single tap? I wanted to check with the experts to see if I am doing something wrong or if this just the way this switch operates.

By the way just wanted to pass on how great of a site this is. It has been an invaluable source for me during the last three months in installing my M1 and related items.

Pete

pjpete said:
Problem is I can't figure out how to accomplish this with the US2-40. It seems the local load has to be part of the link which does not allow the flexibility of just controling the local load and not sending the link with a single tap? I wanted to check with the experts to see if I am doing something wrong or if this just the way this switch operates.

By the way just wanted to pass on how great of a site this is. It has been an invaluable source for me during the last three months in installing my M1 and related items.

Pete
First of all, welcome to CocoonTech! Glad you are enjoying the site.

I think it's technically incorrect to say that the local load has to be part of a link on the US-240. I have plenty of buttons (including button 1's) that send links that do not include the local load.

However, on the US-240 (and you should see this on the US11-30's as well), each button can only be associated with a single link. Any action taken with the button (single tap, double tap, hold, and release) must perform an action on the link associated with that button, whether or not that link is associated with the local load.

In fact, since I use all SAI switches (so far), I didn't realize you could set up an HAI controller to execute different actions when different actions occur on the same button.

Let me know if this doesn't fully answer your question.

I am installing my first US-240 and I am still offline with Upstart. I have the single rocker/four button faceplate. I am still confused how to set button number 5 for the local load only. TIA.

The US2-40 has features not available with other switches, but it also has restrictions. One restriction is that a link must be used to control the local load, although this link does not need to be transmitted. And, by design, all UPB switches can transmit one and only one link. Therefore, a US2-40 can not control it self with a single click, and control another load with a different link.

In fact, the US2-40 is even more restrictive than a US11-30 in that respect. These switches can locally set one dim level with a single click, and a different dim level with a double click. This is a feature I like and use often. A US2-40 can only set two dim levels if one of them is 100%. (This is another restriction of the US2-40.)

ano said:
One restriction is that a link must be used to control the local load, although this link does not need to be transmitted.
I don't understand. I have been playing with Upstart for the past few hours, offline. I cannot find where to tell a US2-40 with a single toggle/four button faceplate that I want button 4 to control the load. All I see are references to links not loads. I want to control a simple fluorescent light load with the US2-40 button 4 without having to add a fixture module to control the light.

Edit: I found my answer on page 37 of the Upstart Quickstart guide. A US2-40 can talk to itself. That makes sense.

ano said:
Therefore, a US2-40 can not control it self with a single click, and control another load with a different link.

Thanks for the information. I had tried for hours to be able to do this with no joy

Also thanks for the welcome DeLicious.

Cheers

Pete

Back