upgrading to Elk from HAI

dwalt

I have a client that wants to upgrade their OmniPro II to an Elk M1. The OmniPro II has worked very reliably. They just want to do a technology refresh.

I have some specific questions and could use some advice....

1. They have been using SnapLink mobile. What is the best 3rd party remote access app? I only set one Elk client up with the M1 Touch Cloud app and it seemed a bit unpolished. This was in 2021.
2. I have never set up communication other than POTS or ethernet. Is there a way to set up the C1M1 so the client is billed directly? Every time I look into it, the dealer has to do the billing. Also the area the client lives in has unreliable cell service.
3. I assume I can keep the HAI RC-1000 tstats?
4. Elk uses 2.2K eol resistors and HAI uses 1K. I would like to avoid removing the recessed door switches.
5. Any gotchas to look out for?
6. I have some programming using User Settings and outputs based on month/date that I have not been able to replicate in Elk programming.

Last edited:
4. Elk uses 2.2K eol resistors and HAI uses 1K. I would like to avoid removing the recessed door switches.
If the door contacts really have 1K EOL resistors, there is no good way to work around that and keep full functionality without replacing them.

If you leave them in place, you could add a 1.2K resistor to the zone back at the panel, giving you a total of 2.2K loop resistance, but you would lose the ability to reliably detect faults caused by a short. A short in the zone wiring probably would not pull the voltage low enough to cause a fault indication.

Back