Uplink 4500EZ bricked- Replacing with IPDatatel BAT LTE

newalarm

So we had a false alarm about a week ago... damn spiderwebs. I noticed that we never got a call from Alarm Relay. So I called to check and they had not gotten anything from us. Our current setup is a 4500EZ with VOIP backup.

Speaking to Tech support, I was told that the Uplink had pushed an update through and bricked the 4500EZ of about 75 of their customers. Uplink had not been able to fix the issues so AR is replacing at their cost. AR was in process of notifying customers. They gave me two options, an Uplink option i think, or the IPDatatel. The latter had a slightly cheaper monitoring fees so with with the IPDatatel.BAT LTE.

Just though I would see if anyone had a similar issue with the 4500EZ?

Also, anyone use the IPDatatel and if so, are you happy with it? I will be installing it Thursday. I am told it is run through Verizon and it has as ethernet backup.

So I swapped out the wireless communicators yesterday. Took me about 2 hours all said and done. Here are a few notes for anyone interested. I had Alarm Relay walk me through the steps. They were really helpful.

My old setup was the M1XSP connected into the elk ethernet hub. M1XSP was connected to the 4500EZ.

We left the old communicator plugged in until the end. The IPDatatel, The way AR has it set up, uses 4 wires: Power, plus two additional wires for ring and tip. This essentially will not allow you to use traditional phone line or VoIP. Replaced the wires going to the VoIP line with the wires to the IPDatatel. Then connected power wires. AR received signal pretty quickly that it was connected and all was good.

I went into RP to program the telephone (communication) following their instructions and the account number they provide (different than the old one). They provide a bogus phone number since I guess it is no longer required.

We tested the call over wireless (GSM in my case). Then plugged in the ethernet connection into the house switch. Tested again. the IPDatatel uses the fastest connection possible, which is typically ethernet when working. So if you need to test this unit, always unplug the ethernet to test the wireless connection first.

After I got off the phone, I turned off control and unplugged the old communicator system. Moved the IPDatatel to the location of the old one (I tested it at the control to do the initial set up with AR on phone). When I turned back on, I got an error due to the missing M1XSP. Took me a while to remember how to remove the XSP. Essentially, it is going into the keypad and going through Bus Module Enrollment. Keypad will restart as control re-enrolls every device, minus the one that was taken out. Just a side note but you have to remember to move the jumper to the last slot on the m1DBH Data Bus Hub; their should not be any empty slots before the Ethernet jumper (page 12 of the M1G Install manual).

Now, all that is left is to clean up and permanently mount the IPDatatel. While i was in there, found some mice activity so need to deal with that.

BTW, this unit has two screw mounts that are located right behind the circuit board. Does not seem to be a very smart design move. May have to drill some other holes or make sure that screws are clear of the board.

I assume this unit could be set up differently, maybe using the M1XSP to get a slightly faster response time. I like the fact that you have one less part in the system, plus I can reuse the XSP for something else. I would be interested in seeing how others set it up.

AR provided this unit to us free of charge. I don't know if they did this because the other communicator that I had payed for was damaged due to update, or if they provide these free to anyone with a contract? Worth asking for anyone doing a new install since it would have saved me $200. BTW, I pay by the year in one payment.

While I was doing all this work I load tested my batteries. Original battery is completely dead. My Aux power battery is on its last leg. Looks like I need to invest in some new batteries.

Back