using Altronix with Elk M1

elkuser

Greetings!

I am a first time poster. 

I would like understand the best way to use an Altronix AL600ULX with PD16WCB with my Elk M1.

I have several Sensor Switch CM PDT9 that I want to install in different areas of my home.
To power them, I am planning on using the Altronix power supply referenced above.
I have it mounted, just not wired.

I have a ELK-M1XIN going into my ELK M1 to use with the CM PDT9 for zone inputs. 

I have a few questions to clarify all of this, to keep from hurting the electronics.

Do I use a EOL resistor on the CM PDT9?  if so, on which wire, black, red or white?
The white wire, I'm assuming.. :)

Do I wire a connection from the N on the PD16WCB to the N on the M1XIN ?  if so, would 26 AWG wire be okay or a heavier gauge? 

The Elk panel and the Altronix panel are next to each other in my basement and use the same 20A branch electrical circuit. There is maybe 20 inches of wire between the two parts to ensure a common N. 

thanks.

You can use EOL resistors if you like, though for an occupancy sensor, I wouldn't bother. 

The red and black wires on the CM PDT9 get connected to your power source, presumably the Altronix,

The white wire is a voltage output and is not something you can connect to a M1 zone input.

You should connect the M1 zone inputs to the relay option wires on the CM PDT9, and wire the EOL there if you choose to use them. You'll need to decide if you want the zone to be normally open or closed, and whether that means the room is occupied or unoccupied.

If you using the Altronix to power only sensors that have dry contacts (e.g. relays or switches), you don't need to connect the N terminal of the Altronix to the NEG terminal of the M1. But I would recommend doing it anyway in case you eventually add other devices, such as zone expanders or keypads to be powered by the Altronix.

I would use a heavier wire to connect them, such as 18 gauge.   There probably won't be much current flowing through it under normal conditions.   But 26 AWG is just too flimsy and easy to accidentally break when working on the panels.

Back