Using ELK over Internet...

noshali

Folks,

I am revisiting this as I still cannot get the ELK to work from outside my network (internet). I need to get this urgently as I am going on vacation and would like to see status. I would prefer to leave my computer off..but if I need to leave it on then I will.

I have the ELk connected directly to a router (netgear) and the router assign it an IP address like 192-168.0.x

I us the DYNDNS.org service but that requires that I leave the computer on.

So what do I need to do????

Thanks & Regards,

Some routers allow you to use a dynamic dns service (I know some linksys routers have this). This would let you use the service but not have a computer on all the time.

I believe they may support Dyndns but I am not positive and can't check mine at the moment. They also support TZO. You might want to check into that. Log into your router and check the administrative capabilities or look at the manual.

You also need to forward the right ports to the IP address of the Elk, which means the Elk should have a static IP address (well perhaps not since you will not be powering down the elk, so you can use the one that is assigned to it, just be aware this could change if you cycle it so keep it in the back of your mind).

Check the manual for which ports need to be forwarded, off the top of my head I think 2601 was one of them, but I may be confused.

Ok this is where I get lost.....I have the dyndns service working and I can access the PC from internet.

Now the dyndns service from what i understand is PC specific as it controls the pc that the dyndns app is running on...

How do I open the port for ELK...for eg i have 192.168.0.9 as th elk IP...what do I do in the router to open the ports that ELK can see. So I add an TCP service for 192.168.0.9 for port 2601...am i correct???

So how do I access it from outside then...http://dyndns.com:????? How will the router know that port 2601 needs to be mapped to 192.168.0.9???

regards,

Now the dyndns service from what i understand is PC specific as it controls the pc that the dyndns app is running on...

I also have a NetGear router (WGR614) and use dyn dns. I don't run any software for dyn dns on a PC. My NetGear control panel has a place to enter my dyn dns account information so I suspect yours does as well.

Also in the router control panel, go to port forwarding and map both port 80 and 2601 to the IP of your M1XEP.

So how do I access it from outside then...http://dyndns.com:????? How will the router know that port 2601 needs to be mapped to 192.168.0.9???

To get to your M1 you should only need to enter the domain you received when signing up for dyn dns. For example http://noshali.homedns.org or whatever you set up originally. This assemes you have no other type of web server set up.

opie said:
Also in the router control panel, go to port forwarding and map both port 80 and 2601 to the IP of your M1XEP.
Doesn't port 21 need to be forwarded as well? Or is that to support connecting with ElkRP from the Internet?

Dave G.

Doesn't port 21 need to be forwarded as well? Or is that to support connecting with ElkRP from the Internet?

Actually, looking at the M1XEP directions on page 10, ELK does say to open ports 2601, 21, 26 and 80 but some of those may be for RP. I only use the web interface so I haven't tried connecting with RP from outside my LAN.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in shortly. :)

There are four ports that need to be opened on the router (according to page 10 of the M1EXP manual), 21, 26, 80 and 2601. I have tried remote access (from work) and learned the following. Ports 21 and 80 are well known ports (http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/portnumbers.asp ) and passed/routed by most ISPs and places of employment. Ports 26 and 2601 are not well known ports and are block by some ISPs and many corporate firewalls (for example where I work).

The approach I would take is to get the PC you are going to use for remote access and get it up and running on your LAN (where no ports are blocked). With that done (and working), open the four ports on your router and then take the remote access PC to some location where there is not a heavyhanded firewall clamping ports to test. Once you know your setup is working your at the mercy of each individual sites network admin as to weather all ports will be open.

To get around this I am going to try (someday) something like LogOnToMyPC or Im InTouch which allows access to a PC on my net through port 80 (http). Good Luck.

Currently, if you are using ELKRM Remote Management software remotely or any other third party software remotely, you will need to open Port 2101 as well. This port is not encrypted.

Dyndns only needs an IP update about every 30 days to maintain the account if your dynamic IP address does not change. I get an email from DYNDNS saying I need to update the IP address, so I use my PC in my house to update it.

Dyndns only needs an IP update about every 30 days to maintain the account if your dynamic IP address does not change. I get an email from DYNDNS saying I need to update the IP address, so I use my PC in my house to update it.

That's exactly how it works for me also.

I assumed having my DynDNS account info in my router set-up would get around this but since Spanky mentioned it I do remember having to update manually. My IP didn't change, I think this is how DynDNS avoids having a bunch of dead free accounts.

I us the DYNDNS.org service but that requires that I leave the computer on.

I have Comcast and I'm not sure I have ever seen my IP change but this isn't the case with all ISPs. I'm betting the IP will last long enough for your vacation. You shouldn't need to leave your PC on but test this theory bofore you leave.

I tried to use the DynDNS feature in my router and it didn't work. DynDNS states that most of the hardware clients are not reliable and they suggest the software client. The official software client works good and is free, just need it on one machine in the house.

My IP hadn't changed in a long time, but Mr Murphy got me and the IP changed when I wasn't home and nobody else was home to research the new IP. I kicked myself for not making it a higher priority to get the software client re-installed after moving & changing computers, etc.

noshali said:
The purpose of the dynamic DNS service is to "discover" and make useful the IP address that your ISP/provider has assigned to your DSL/cable/whatever circuit. This is a public IP address, very different from the private 192.168.x.x addresses on your local LAN.

The problem with this public IP address is that it may change. How often is a function of many variables. To make that all transparent, you use a DDNS client to discover your public IP and allow it to be referenced by a domain name.

I'm using DynDNS.org with a linksys router and it works great, no monthly emails, no PC running.

Note that for ease of use, you also have the issue of how your private IP addresses on your LAN are assigned. It would be best to assign a static IP to your M1XEP. Follow the M1XEP docs and review your router docs.

Now you can use this static, private IP when configuring your router's port forwarding. While terse, the XEP docs say it all. Make sure you download the most recent version of the docs.

If nothing else work, try LogMeIn. This needs to have a PC ON, but is the only thing that worked for me.

Back