Using Google Now (voice commands) with HA

Automate

An OSA user came across this video about using Google Now with home automation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI4bSMiO_xY
Pretty neat, especially with phones like the Moto-X that accept voice commands even when the screen is turned off.

The user got this method working with OSA but thought of some improvements for better integration.  A part of his post is quoted below.
I actually got it working but it has a couple of problems with this approach. 
1) it relies on tasker and autovoice, both of which are paid apps
2) you have to set up a tasker task for every voice command you want to work (this is alot of work especially for those who already have pattern matches set up in OSA)

So I got to work making the OSA android app a plugin for the Google Search API. I can now do google now searches and have it sent to OSA to process. Now I wish I had a moto X with the always on listening (my stepson does and its really cool having your phone off and laying on the table and say 'OK Google turn on kitchen light').

More details here http://www.opensourceautomation.com/phpBB3/osa-and-google-now-integration-for-android-devices-t974.html

This is cool.  A bit limited right now, but hopefully that will change.  What would be better is if HomeBuddy or AuthomationHD integrated the OK Google stuff into their apps.  That would get rid of the need for Tasker.

Awesome this was the final missing piece.  We have CQC working with Tasker and Autovoice/Autoremote two-way, but I didn't have it integrated with Google Now on my Moto-X.  Was just using the regular autovoice prompts.  

Guess i'll be rooting the Moto today....

And 9 hours later, got it working... :)  I am going to cry if an OTA update wipes this out...

I just started getting into this the other day. Works great and really opens up some new possibilities. Still scratching the surface. Also yaste is great to add to this combo for voice commanding xbmc.

I had that kid singing Elvis on the today show set mine off and disarm my security system.   Working on a way to setup confirmation to prevent that kind of stuff, hopefully I can get it into one subtask.  My tasker configuration is a big mess, with all this AV stuff going on.  I really wish it would allow w3c grammars.  It would be so much easier to just create an XML file with what to recognize and what task to run at this point.

I spent yesterday getting CQC to confirm my commands via AutoRemote, so I know if they occur or not.  I have that down to a single profile and task and handle all of the coding as far as what to send an how to confirm (flash, popup, html popup, or voice) in CQC.

Wuench, what's your trigger? Viva las vegas? ;) btw I had to uninstall autovoice and reinstall after the exposed framework was installed to get google now working with autovoice. Hope that helps someone.

Back