Vizia Zone Controller to multiple loads

shenandoah75

I've never controlled more than one device with a single button controller (a Leviton engineer actually told me you couldn't do it, but I think he may have been mistaken?). However I have several 4 button controllers with buttons assigned to more than one load and the load switches can only be changed from the controller switch. Adjusting a load does not affect the other load switches.

I too recieved similar advice from leviton. But in my case they were making sure i only had one lamp dimming module associated...

1) However, I seem to recall doing this accidently on dimmer loads in the past. For example my virtual 3-way i think i accidently assigned to two loads and i could swear it would control both.

2) On the other hand, i intentionally tried to do it with multiple lamp modules on a single 1 zone controller and the remote didn't seem to save the attempted association at all - is it just specific to lamp controllers? I gave up and just installed a scene controller instead (but that was a rather expensive option) :)

Hoping maybe our new friend from Leviton support will chip in and give us the definitive :)

thx in advance
-brad

Sortof a related / why i'm asking:

I currently have a three gang box next to my french doors which exit from my living room to the back porch. I exit this location to come to my office every morning and come in at night. Current switching is:

Recessed Porch Lights | Fan control | Flood lights

Desired additional control from this location would include:
- ablility to turn whole house off when i go to my office in the morning
- ability to turn on the family room when i enter at night if nobody is home.
- maybe ability to turn on general "living area as a whole similar to the prior - but do i really need both - not sure?

Anyways:

1) The first is a dimmer setup in virtual three way, but i could easy hardwire the common and swap out the dimmer and 1zone controller on the other side of the circuit freeing up a load slot in this gang box.

2) we really don't use the floods and due to my christmas wiring fun, this currently only feeds one of the two, the other is disconnected anyway. I could drop this load altogether too (if i wanted it i could put a dimmer in with the other 3-way location for the first load (in my master bedroom) and another one in a hall on the other side of the house where the second flood is, but i'd want to control the load from this location ...

So what would you guys do first to free up a space?
a. swap out #1 as described and put in a 4 button controller?
b. keep the dedcated paddle switch for load #1 (which is the most common load used there) and drop the floods
c. none of the above / something else?

and second, for control scenarios above (ro some which i'm not thinking) would you use:
a. 4-button scene
b. 4-sutton zone ( i have always used scene in my cases, but maybe this is better here)
c. 1-button zone (allowing to control the family room but not giving an all-off from this exit)

BTW: if you're wondering isn't this the guy that brags about is skill with a sawzall in replace 3gang boxes with 40gangers, ya that's me... But this is a block wall and though i have the air chisel, i am pretty sure the furring strip gap would not be enough to get the tabs in a remodel box in and clamped. I cut shorten the screws maybe, but i'd rather not mess this one up (stud wall would be no question)...

thx in advance on all fronts...
-brad

ASIHome answered my first in the other thread (sorry though i was doing us a favor by splitting that off the 3-way subject line) maybe not....

"You can associate the RZCS1-1LX (Scene - No LEDs) to multiple dimmers or switches and you can associate the RZCZ1-1LX (Zone - LEDs) to multiple switches but you cannot associate the RZCZ1-1LX (Zone - LEDs) to multiple dimmers. Hope this helps. "

btw: in hindsight, i think in my case above, i associated a 1 zone ctroller to both the 15 amp plugin switch and a dimmer (but could be wrong)

ASIHome answered my first in the other thread (sorry though i was doing us a favor by splitting that off the 3-way subject line) maybe not....

"You can associate the RZCS1-1LX (Scene - No LEDs) to multiple dimmers or switches and you can associate the RZCZ1-1LX (Zone - LEDs) to multiple switches but you cannot associate the RZCZ1-1LX (Zone - LEDs) to multiple dimmers. Hope this helps. "

btw: in hindsight, i think in my case above, i associated a 1 zone ctroller to both the 15 amp plugin switch and a dimmer (but could be wrong)

edit: Correcting a mistype (should read):

You can associate the RZCS1-1LX (Scene - No LEDs) to multiple dimmers or switches and you can associate the RZCZ1-1LX (Zone - LEDs) to one switch or one dimmer but you cannot associate the RZCZ1-1LX (Zone - LEDs) to multiple dimmers or switches. Hope this helps.

I also am correcting the other post.

Thanks.

Back