VOIP Intercom & Gate/Door Controll

SHRemote

I have decided to definitely replace my Napco security system with an OmniPro II and use it as my overall home automation controller instead of a HomeSeer device. As I've posted in an earlier thread, I'm hoping to find way to integrate my Sonos with it. But I have much more immediate issue I need help with.

I'm having a automatic gate installed across my driveway this week. I need a way to open the gate by code and a way to communicate with the gate so that a guest can call the house and I can "buzz" them in. I would also like an IP camera at the location so I can see the guest when they call and I'm deciding whether to grant access. Ideally, the camera at the gate should also be triggered by and record "events" (e.g. when someone hits the call button on the keypad at the gate or the camera detects motion by the gate). From the house, I’d like to be able to use an OmniTouch 5.7e to see and talk to the guest and buzz them in.

HAI recently introduced the VOIP intercom functionality and a “connectivity partner”, Helios. The Helios device – the 2n Helios IP – is pretty nice. It has keypad and an IP camera and integrates with the OmniTouch. However, I’m not sure that the camera can be triggered by and record events. Obviously, it turns on when someone at the OmniTouch accepts the call, but I don’t know if can triggered by the person pressing the call button or by detecting motion. I also don’t know if I can record the video of the even to an NVR. It seems crazy that it wouldn’t have this ability, but I cannot seem to be able to find any literature even mentioning that functionality.

I contacted ABT tech (the US distributor for Helios). They didn’t know if the device could do this. They suggested instead that I look at the Mobotix T24. It looks similar to the Helios device. It uses the same VOIP/SIP standard. For sure its camera (a 3.2 megapixel camera!) can be triggered by events and can its feed can be captured by an NVR. But, I don’t know if it will work with the OmniTouch 5.7e. Again, it seems like they should work together. But in the world of IP devices, you never know.

Can someone help me figure this out. In the end I don’t care if it’s the Helios or Mobotix I go with provided it can do what I need. Later, I will be adding two more “stations” to control access to my front door and a back gate. I’d like the same functionality so I’ll use the same solution in those locations.

It all depends on the video streaming format that Mobotix intercom uses. That said, Mobotix is a top of the line product, and are known to support standards, so I think you will be ok. I did contact HAI and asked them to look at this thread.

I have decided to definitely replace my Napco security system with an OmniPro II and use it as my overall home automation controller instead of a HomeSeer device. As I've posted in an earlier thread, I'm hoping to find way to integrate my Sonos with it. But I have much more immediate issue I need help with.

I'm having a automatic gate installed across my driveway this week. I need a way to open the gate by code and a way to communicate with the gate so that a guest can call the house and I can "buzz" them in. I would also like an IP camera at the location so I can see the guest when they call and I'm deciding whether to grant access. Ideally, the camera at the gate should also be triggered by and record "events" (e.g. when someone hits the call button on the keypad at the gate or the camera detects motion by the gate). From the house, I’d like to be able to use an OmniTouch 5.7e to see and talk to the guest and buzz them in.

HAI recently introduced the VOIP intercom functionality and a “connectivity partner”, Helios. The Helios device – the 2n Helios IP – is pretty nice. It has keypad and an IP camera and integrates with the OmniTouch. However, I’m not sure that the camera can be triggered by and record events. Obviously, it turns on when someone at the OmniTouch accepts the call, but I don’t know if can triggered by the person pressing the call button or by detecting motion. I also don’t know if I can record the video of the even to an NVR. It seems crazy that it wouldn’t have this ability, but I cannot seem to be able to find any literature even mentioning that functionality.

I contacted ABT tech (the US distributor for Helios). They didn’t know if the device could do this. They suggested instead that I look at the Mobotix T24. It looks similar to the Helios device. It uses the same VOIP/SIP standard. For sure its camera (a 3.2 megapixel camera!) can be triggered by events and can its feed can be captured by an NVR. But, I don’t know if it will work with the OmniTouch 5.7e. Again, it seems like they should work together. But in the world of IP devices, you never know.

Can someone help me figure this out. In the end I don’t care if it’s the Helios or Mobotix I go with provided it can do what I need. Later, I will be adding two more “stations” to control access to my front door and a back gate. I’d like the same functionality so I’ll use the same solution in those locations.

Well if you are going to have a gate you are going to need an exit loop to open it. Why not just run another wire for the entry loop and burry the probe along the driveway?
I have had a positive experience with Cartell products. You could have a loop outside the gate so when a car pulls up it triggers an output to start recording. In addition, perhaps you could tie an output from the Cartell to the Omni to turn on the display.
You could also possibly use motion detectors to trigger an output for a camera. I have messed around with the Axis P3343-VE cameras and they support outputs based on motion. In addition they have onboard inputs for detectors.

It all depends on the video streaming format that Mobotix intercom uses. That said, Mobotix is a top of the line product, and are known to support standards, so I think you will be ok. I did contact HAI and asked them to look at this thread.

Thanks Dan! (BTW: It was your response to my thread in the security forum, that got me looking at HAI. I'm glad I did!) The Mobotix camera uses H.264 compression and I believe it can be configured to match the parameters described in the HAI article on setting up the Helios. This begs the question whether it's worth using the Mobotix because HAI calls for a pretty low-res stream. Unless the Mobotix can dual stream, I may be better off just using the Helios and accepting the fact that if I want a decent recording at the gate, I'll have to use another camera.

SHRemote - I'm curious to see how this setup went.  I'm about to venture into the same setup - (almost three years after you) so I'm hoping you can give me some insight.  I'm actually about to integrate my HAI OmniPro II with Homeseer S3Pro to get Insteon interface (HAI and Insteon don't play nice together - but that's a whole different thread)   My gate controller goes in next week - so am looking at Helios 2N over HAI or a Panasonic Door Phone tied to my PBX.   I'm debating on using the HAI for keypad access - or the Linear AM3Plus as it will also give me remote control access and reporting abilities for multiple users.

Thanks!
-Lance

The Mobotix cameras have boku options in resolution terms.  If the software interface in the T24 is anything like the Q24, you'll have sizes from multi-megapixel, all the way down to tiny-PDA-size. 

Like so:

2v7zew5.jpg

I don't know about dual-streaming, but I'd be surprised if it couldn't do it. 

Back