VRC0P, ELK-M1XSLZW, Leviton Install Tool And Aeon Labs Door Sensor

I just purchased the VRC0P, Leviton USB install tool,  ELK-M1XSLZW and four Aeon Labs window/Door Sensors.

I can't seem to get them to work. I read the documentation and searched the forums (and google) and can't see how to use the Sensor as an input for my ELK. Is this not possible?

I can use the installer tool to pair up with the VRC0P and the sensor. Everything seems to see and pull just fine. my VRC0P is node 7 and my Sensor is node 8. How do I setup the rule in the ELK? Do I use the lighting or lock? 

Any help is appreciated as I am a little lost!

I also have a Vera 3 that I use for other things thou I am not ready to integrate that in yet or should I be? I hear about issues with primary/secondary controllers (Vera vs Leviton USB Tool). 

Anyone have any ideas? I'm assuming the VRC0P to ELK M1 is working. Is it only Lighting/outlets, Thermostats and locks that work?

Getting a non-Leviton device to work correctly with VRC0P+3/ELK-M1XSLZW might be challenging. My best recommendation would be:
  1. Can RF Installer Toolkit create a reverse association using the RS-232 menu?
  2. Use WindowsXP HyperTerminal connection to VRC0P+3 and manipulate the AON labs switch. You will have to keep the VRC0P+3 near the location where it was originally "included."
  3. If you manually manipulate a lock while watching HyperTerminal console, you will see notification messages. You should see the same type of notification message coming from AON labs switch. If you see the same kind of message, then you might be able to add the switch as a lighting node in ElkRP and write a WHENEVER... rule.
Not to throw a damper on Z-Wave here, but you are probably better off buying a GE/Ademco wireless solution for contact switches. It will be much less painful - especially since you already have Elk platform.

Thanks for the direction! I connected it to Hyperterm and do see these resuts:

<N008:032,001,000
<N008:032,001,255

000 is open and 255 is closed.

Now I setup a rule on my elk to check for the above text but it wants a port. I setup a rule for every port available 0-7 and it it should say the time. Well it never does. I do have a ELK-M1DBH with a Keypad in port 1 and the ELK-M1XSLZW in port 2 then the terminating plug in port 3. I also have JP3 on the ELK terminated. I ran the enroll and it does see it.

Is there any logs or anything I can look on the ELK to see if it is receiving the data?

Am I supposed to do a whenever rule on the light (#8)?

p.s I might look into the other wireless solution but for now I'm willing to work with this

You will not be able to receive VRC0P+3 command lines using an ElkRP rule. The M1XSZW hides the communication protocol and command strings.
Since DeviceId ‘8’ appears to be talking to VRC0P+3, you are much closer to getting solution working. The next step is to configure a light inside ElkRP > Lighting > Device8 > “Serial Expander,On/off switch”. Afterwards, the rule below should be tested. You might need to reboot Elk (or not).

WHENVER Lighting 1(A1) IS TURNED ON BY SOME EXTERNAL DEVICE
THEN DO_Y

I don’t know if this will work or not, but it does seem that this device supports the association class because VRC0P+3 is receiving asynchronous state notifications.

If this rule does not work, then you will have to get your official Elk reseller to contact Elk technical support and ask for if an undocumented workaround exists or perhaps Elk would be amendable to enhancement request.

frozenteeth said:
Thanks for the direction! I connected it to Hyperterm and do see these resuts:

<N008:032,001,000
<N008:032,001,255

000 is open and 255 is closed.

Now I setup a rule on my elk to check for the above text but it wants a port. I setup a rule for every port available 0-7 and it it should say the time. Well it never does. I do have a ELK-M1DBH with a Keypad in port 1 and the ELK-M1XSLZW in port 2 then the terminating plug in port 3. I also have JP3 on the ELK terminated. I ran the enroll and it does see it.

Is there any logs or anything I can look on the ELK to see if it is receiving the data?

Am I supposed to do a whenever rule on the light (#8)?

p.s I might look into the other wireless solution but for now I'm willing to work with this
You may have a problem with port designation. What port did you set up in the -LZW? Do you  have any other serial controllers attached. I don't believe keypads use a port designation. Don't confuse port (serial) with position on the MBH.

I have the LZW in port 2 of the DBH with an address set to 2. I have my M1XEP in the standard serial port on my elk. When I run the bus enroll with ElkRP is says my keypad is 1 and my LZW is 2 and M1XEP says N/A

What is the correct termination of the jumpers? I do not have the LZW jumper on, I do have the JP3 on the ELK, I have a term plug in port 3 of DBH. I'm thinking the JP3 on the elk is supposed to be open.

Will test more when I'm home.

I think I'm making matters worse. Now I cant get my M1XEP to work. I can ping it and confiure it with the utility. Change IP and Port numbers. But now ElkRP can't connect to it. I tried with the JP3 on and off and it doesn't work. I hooked up the com port to my PC and was able to configure the ElkRP just fine. I turned everything off and hooked the M1XEp back up and did an enrollment with the keypad and  it find's two modules (Not sure what two if it's the Keypad & LZW or LZW and M1XEP

Back