Wall Wart Control…Need pics PLZ

soonersig

Okay so in my infinite research, I've narrowed it down to 2-3 choices for power control for the elimination of as many wall warts as possible. But am interested in Pics of how you guys accomplished yours. Post Pics Plz. needing to get ideas for can layout on a new construction project.

Thanks Ben

I think it would help the rest of us to know what you are trying to accomplish. 

What type of wall warts are you trying to eliminate?  Ones that output AC, DC, 5V, 9V, 12V, 16V ?  What types of devices do you need to provide power to?  Where are they located?  Around your kitchen counter?   In a can with your home automation controller or alarm panel?  All over the house?  Do you want to replace the wall warts with some other power source, or just hide them from view?

There are different solutions depending on the specifics of what you want to do.

Edit:  Sorry - somehow when I initially read your post, I missed the fact that you are asking about handling wall warts inside the can itself.  Makes much more sense now!

I didn't use one of these Leviton structured media power supplies in my installation, but I have to admit they help make things much neater.

http://store.leviton.com/Versatile-Supply-Structured-Cabinet-47605-PSC/dp/B0076ZTEZY#

tesla-coil.jpg

I utilize a Leviton power supply on the bottom of the 42" Leviton can with one power strip in the middle of the can.  The power strip takes care of the non 12VDC stuff and the Leviton does all of the 12VDC stuff.

Many folks also utilize a "Maverick" power supply with 120VAC and a few different LV's with little dials on them to change the voltage.  I have a couple of these in place outside of the.  They work fine but are sort of big for the inside of the can.

M255-1000-main.jpg
M255-1000-callout001.jpg

Are those Maverick units still being made? I didn't find any source that had stock and a review referenced a web site that doesn't seem to tie in.

I don't think that they are being made anymore.  That said every once in a while some place will sell them on special; probably old stock.  Here I have some 4 running 24/7 and its been years now.

RAL said:
I think it would help the rest of us to know what you are trying to accomplish. 

What type of wall warts are you trying to eliminate?  Ones that output AC, DC, 5V, 9V, 12V, 16V ?  What types of devices do you need to provide power to?  Where are they located?  Around your kitchen counter?   In a can with your home automation controller or alarm panel?  All over the house?  Do you want to replace the wall warts with some other power source, or just hide them from view?

There are different solutions depending on the specifics of what you want to do.

Edit:  Sorry - somehow when I initially read your post, I missed the fact that you are asking about handling wall warts inside the can itself.  Makes much more sense now!

I didn't use one of these Leviton structured media power supplies in my installation, but I have to admit they help make things much neater.

http://store.leviton.com/Versatile-Supply-Structured-Cabinet-47605-PSC/dp/B0076ZTEZY#
No problem, I wasn't very clear anyway. Should've put the word CAN in caps!!!! Yea that leviton unit is one that I'm considering.

Personally here I try to keep the number of wall warts down.  Over the years for example I have switched over to using older style Cisco 3.3 VDC/4AMP power supplies for certain devices.  The small power supplies are still larger than a wall wart but easier to fit inside of the Leviton Can.  I have used this same methodology for other non 12VDC stuff.   Not much though. 

You can also convert the 12VDC to lower voltages in DIY's using the base Leviton PS. 

Attachments

• 5VDCPS.jpg
    5VDCPS.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 10
I've been thinking about this a lot, lately.  I first considered rigging up a custom 5v/12v power supply based on a PC power supply, but that would take a lot of work to get everything nice and clean.  My current plan is to use a 12v CCTV power supply (plentiful on ebay) for the 12v items and a multiple-output USB charger for the 5V items (with custom cables, if necessary).

Back