Water Filters

rfdesq

There are too many experts here to not ask this off topic question. Can you give me your recommendations for water filters. I'm not sure if I want whole house, individual at sink, a special one just for my on demand hot water heater, etc. I have a big blue whole house now and I'm not satisfied with it. Thanks.

My buddy used to own a water business and between my research and his input (not to mention necessity due to health reasons for my daughter) I'd like to think I am pretty knowledgeable about water quality and systems. Plus I can always ping my buddy if not sure. Waaay too much to try to type out here, if you want to PM me we can get together offline. But I can tell ya that the biggest problem with any of the filters is not maintaining/replacing them as you should. You can do as simple as point of use taste/odor to industrial/medical grade water so good even a toxic event to your water supply would not be a problem.

I buy stuff from bigbrandwaterfilters.com. I have a 5 stage RO setup on the kitchen sink and also tagged into the icemaker.

There are too many experts here to not ask this off topic question. Can you give me your recommendations for water filters. I'm not sure if I want whole house, individual at sink, a special one just for my on demand hot water heater, etc. I have a big blue whole house now and I'm not satisfied with it. Thanks.

No, I'm not a water-expert, but I gladly tell you my solution:

My watersource (near Gilmer, 75644, East Texas) is a 50 ft shallow-well and I'm using a jetpump.
All the water is filtered by a 1 gal-GE 30 µm filter.
The absorbed clay/sediment by the first filter from my well-water is around 2 gramm per cubic-meter, around 0.0007 lbs clay/cubic yard water.
And in this filtered condition it is used for irrigation. Because the irrigation is using "some" water, this filter is changed every month during summer, more seldom at other times. BTW: an ELK-system is doing regularly a cleaning by backflow. But this backflow-cleaning is not too effectiv because the filter-system does not support this by design.

The wateranalysis showed no abnormal content of anything.
And I'm not operating a swimming pool.

For the house I filter it again in a 2nd stage with a normal (TrueValue Standard) Filter with 3 µm (carbon) inserts. I made me a simple device for cleaning the cartridges while applying additional backflow, because this filter will be clogged every 1-3 weeks. This way I can use a cartride around 4 times.

This filter-treatment for my water seems to be sufficient for WC-flushing, shower, hand-washing and teethsbrushing.
And it is on the limit for coffeewater, cooking and direct drinking. So I will install an addititional outlet in the kitchencorner for better filtered water in the future.

But every water, especially well-water, has another quality.

;-) Only the water, sold by Coke as Dasani, has the constant quality of ... city-water! But for me, this is too expensive for a shower.

;-) Only the water, sold by Coke as Dasani, has the constant quality of ... city-water!

Oh contrair. Aquafina from Pepsico can match Dasani. The selected city for the water is determined by distribution vacinity.

In my case I tap into an underground river with a well pump and use a simple whole house filer with a paper cartridge for some fine particle removal. It gets changed when the shower pressure is noticed to be degraded which is typcially 4 to 8 months. When the earth shakes the filter needs replacement on the more frequent end. Water quality was tested to be good and taste is great.

Somewhat similar question:

I am on a 180 ft well and have a whole house filter feeding a water softner. Under the kitchen sink is an osmosis system for drinking / cooking water.

Some of the lines (like out to the garage and to some of the garden house spigots) are connected before the softner.

My question is: any good air humidifier solutions out there for water that has lots of minerals?

I have tried rotating element drum type humidifiers and water over the grid type. All ultimately get clogged up with minerals and are tossed in one maybe two winter seasons. I haven't tried the mist type, but I suspect that might be a problem too.

Is this a filter, a softner, a new humidifier type or simply a lot of maintenance solution? Should this be pre or post softner water?

Thanks everyone. Your suggestions did not go unnoticed. I am meeting with Steve next week at EHX to discuss further.

Back