Water flow sensor

vbdino

I am looking for a water flow sensor to fit to a 3/4 inch pipe, that could trigger a relay. I would then connect this relay to my ELK-M1. When triggered and alarm in away mode, the ELK-M1 would then turn off the main valve.

Do you have suggestions for such water flow sensor that I could order online. Preferably, the sensor would have a very low impact on water pressure.

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

Lowest price I found was $105 us so far. The company has a canadian web site, so I will write to them for resellers.

It just hit me. :excl: I don't need this sensor to protect the house when away. Since I already have the motorized valve, all I need is to close the valve when the alarm is in away mode.

Just keep in mind, if you leave a load of laundry or the dishwasher running while away, you'll totally hose the cycle; not to mention, ice makers? I'm not sure totally shutting off the water every single day is the best idea... definitely check the duty cycle on any valve used as well to make sure it's meant to hold up.

Id suggest closing the valve on a leak detection, or in vacation mode. Away/Armed status, id leave it. But thats the oilfield PLC guy in me, I have 0 experience in the HA area that im about to dive into....way over my head.

Just keep in mind, if you leave a load of laundry or the dishwasher running while away, you'll totally hose the cycle; not to mention, ice makers? I'm not sure totally shutting off the water every single day is the best idea... definitely check the duty cycle on any valve used as well to make sure it's meant to hold up.

I have the Elk WSV. It has been turning off 40 minutes after the home is armed away and turning back on when disarmed several times a day for 4 years now. You do need the 40 minute delay for the dishwasher/washing machine (just make sure to put water sensors under them that shut the water). I would prefer my wife didn't run the washers just before leaving. . .but I lost that battle. Ice makers work just fine since residual pressure in the pipe still fills the tray for quite a few batches of ice.

EDIT: Oh, and also, don't forget about your sprinkler. Make sure you cut the water off after the sprinkler line takes off or you will return from vacation to a dead yard.

I was going to use a FloodStop valve FS3/4NPT that I never took time to install, which is made of solid brass. The ELK is interesting but more expensive. The pressure varies from 30 to 55 psi.

The Floodstop unit control has no input for an alarm system but as I did for the garage door, I am going to solder wires directly on the electronic board and use a ELK relay to trigger (simulate the button press) functions.

Plus I will have the water detector near by. The area has both water heater and pump tank. Since I have Polybutylene pipes everywhere instead of copper, it feels safer to shut water line than try to detect leaks everywhere. Eventually, I want to replace all pipes for PVC or copper.

Back