Water Hero - Water Monitoring / Shut off valve system

Teken

There is a current KS project under way for a new two piece system that can monitor the flow of water, temperature, humidity, and also open / close the main water line.

This device does NOT require any plumber or cutting of the water pipe. It is the closest thing to plug and play I have ever seen in the market. Many of us have tried very hard to integrate the water monitoring into our system.  

This new product if its funded will help us get there.

You can show your support and get one cheaper now if you enlist now: 
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1115949672/water-hero-protection-from-major-pipe-bursts-and-c/description

I was lucky enough to sign up as a Beta tester so I can help shape and mold this product to its full potential. I hope this provides a solution for those like me who want to measure and record the water flow.

I wanted to update the group on the reply we received from the Water Hero group:

Thank you, Teken, for taking the time to meet with us.

As we discussed on the phone, Water Hero is the result of Water Hero’s founder needing to solve his problems with frozen pipes in his own home.
We really want to thank Teken (and everyone else who’s on this thread) for their questions and suggestions.  It helps us understand how Water Hero will be used, can be used, and how it should integrate with other automation platforms.  Summarizing what was discussed:

Direct Pulse Cable:  Though I was not originally a fan of local access, Teken made a very compelling case. 

Temperature and Humidity Accuracy:   Teken voiced a need for high accuracy which I believe aligns with Water Hero’s own requirements.

Security:  Water Hero is now using two factor authentication.  Water Hero will never share a user’s identified data without the user’s consent.   Water usage data = occupancy data.  We understand the vital need to keep this data secure.

Surge Protection:  Teken suggested additional surge protection measures.  Spark has some integrated protection, but we’ll dig into this further after Kickstarter to see if added protection is required.

Valve Position Reporting:  Teken asked if the valve motor reported its position.
This was originally believed un-necessary, as the position would be documented by the water passing through the water meter during a pipe burst.  No water = closed. 
As we started to consider adding annual, quarterly, and if required monthly automatic valve cycling to keep tight valves loose, we did not review valve position reporting, which might be required when no water is flowing. 
It’s was a great question.  We’ll be looking into it.

The mission of Water Hero is extraordinary plumbing protection at an affordable price, and any changes will have to pass through that prism.  We’ll be looking into Local Access, Suitable Surge Protection, and Valve Position Reporting after the Kickstarter Campaign to try to get all of Teken’s requests included.

We’d like to keep these channels open as we move towards production, and thank you for your support of our Kickstarter Campaign.  Please tell your networks about us before the end of the campaign on December 24.

I wanted to reach out to all of the forum members who saw value in this KS project. To personally thank you, as of this writing the Water Hero Team is fully funded!

Anyone who is still pondering about getting in at the ground level still have two more days to do so. I really can't think of a better technology gift that serves to bring awareness, safety, and convenience like the Water Hero Monitor / Shut off valve.

What a great X-MAS gift that I know will keep paying back each year. 

Seems like a great idea until you get into the details. 

In AZ, water meters are outside down by the street. Oops, that won't work.  And the shutoff valve is typically outside and also shuts off the fire sprinklers. Oops, that won't work. Buy the way, the shutoff controlling the sprinklers was not done by accident and is a requirement. Should you need to shut off the water to your fire sprinklers, they also want the water to your house shut off SO its hard not to notice. Fire sprinklers that can be easily shut off and forgotten would NOT be a good idea. 

So much for simplicity.

This product does seem like a good idea, but has some loose ends. So how does it decide when to shut off your water based on a water meter reading?  It seems like it would need some water flood sensors as well, which it doesn't mention. An how does it tell an auto pool filler or reverse osmosis water filter from a "leak?"

Ya unfortunately of no help here... we have electronic meters down by the street, and use a knob type shutoff outdoors.  I don't think it'd be compatible with either.  Then once the water main enters the house it goes to a distribution manifold clear on the opposite end of the house, then to everything else.  Odd design to me... ultimately I'd want to shut off as early as possible - but at the same time, if the "flood" detected is my fire sprinklers, then I *DON'T* want it shut off!  But a good idea nonetheless and for the people it works for, then it seems like a good quick fix.  

Its too bad some of the members have such odd water requirements and design.

I will update this thread once alpha testing begins in the New Year. Again, much thanks to all those who helped push this project forward. Without the support of this site and many others this would still have been a pipe dream.

welp, you could just add a new shutoff valve inside the house.  :)

For me, it would be iffy with the valve that the builder provided.  it is a CPVC valve.  not sure that thing will be able to turn the valve.  
If I were to get one, I'd just add a new valve.  The last time I changed the pipes in the house, I added a few unions so I could easily shutoff sections of the house and take out the sections.  Modify and replace.

Had to modify the pipes going OUT to the hose.  WHY neck down the 3/4" inlet to 1/2"?  Just to flow INTO a 7/8" hose?  Never made sense to me.  Replaced all that and turned the water pressure up.  Now I can run sprinklers on BOTH outdoor spigots as well as run appliances INSIDE without the water pressure dropping down.

If you are going to install a valve anyway, why not just put in one that can be automated, like WaterCop? 

Just yesterday, I was doing some work that required closing/opening the main shutoff several times.  First, mine has to rotate 180 degrees to go from open to closed.  This design would only drive the control 90 degrees, right?

Second, our valve is stiff as H#ll.  I can't imagine this system has enough grunt to operate it.  

The _idea_ is attractive but I suspect this implementation won't work for that many people.

Craig

I wanted to update this thread that the Water Hero team has provided some updates and a new web site which offers more insight and comparisons of the products soon to be released to the general public.

The direct link to the company is here: http://www.waterheroinc.com/#Home

The update link via Kick Starter is listed here and offers insight as to what stage they are in: https://www.kickstar...c/posts/1416232

I have been in close contact with the vendor during the many months of production. I've been given lots of opportunity to offer feed back and assist the team in developing the Water Hero unit. Lots of the features you see listed in the Water Hero home page came from the people like you and me.

To be honest I didn't have to push very hard but made a good business case about how different supporting features would offer penetration into various market segments.

IE. Security, Plumbing, Insurance, Home Automation.

At the very bottom of the Water Hero home page is a email box to register for updates. Should there be new members who feel this product will meet their needs please do sign up. Once again I would like to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to consider and back this great company.

Regards

How does the flow meter work?  I didn't know you could simply strap something on externally on the side of the existing water meter.

NeverDie said:
How does the flow meter work?  I didn't know you could simply strap something on externally on the side of the existing water meter.

As I understand it the flow meter *sensor* monitors the movement of the water meter dial using magnetic displacement sensing. 

NeverDie said:

Here's a nice video that shows how a utility type water meter works.

Back