Water Hero - Water Monitoring / Shut off valve system

NeverDie said:
I wonder, then, if it only works on certain types/brands of water meters?

The link I provided to the vendors site explains which meters are supported.

RAL said:
Here's a nice video that shows how a utility type water meter works.

Thanks!  That was interesting.  So, apparently the meter dial is magnetically coupled to the positive displacement disk.  So, I'm guessing they're detecting changing magnetic flux lines as that coupling magnet spins?

NeverDie said:
Thanks!  That was interesting.  So, apparently the meter dial is magnetically coupled to the positive displacement disk.  So, I'm guessing they're detecting changing magnetic flux lines as that coupling magnet spins?

Yes . . .

The beauty of this method is that it does not require a person to remove an existing water meter. Does not require a person to hire a plumber or do the job themselves and cut any piping.

Having said this they do in fact offer another model that allows more applications scenarios which of course requires the pipe being cut but that is strictly for the purpose of turning on-off the main water flow. 

The true benefit of this system is not that it can be programmed to turn on-off the main water supply. Its the fact it allows anybody to monitor the water usage with out replacing the actual meter or have some kind of invasive solution in place.

Having the ability to track usage, trends, and limit water use when such things are required. Say in CA where water conservation laws are extremely high is a benefit to those impacted by this.

Say if you had a leaky toilet flapper the fact a person was monitoring that water flow would immediately alert the person to determine why water flow was present when nothing was in use or turned on.

Lots of benefit and use cases for those wanting something simple, effective, and capable in integrating with many existing products.

I guess I'll have to wait for the low power waterproof version, as my meter is down at the curb.

There are ultrasonic flow meters you can mount outside a pipe, but I don't know how accurate they are, especially at low flow rates.

NeverDie said:
I guess I'll have to wait for the low power waterproof version, as my meter is down at the curb.

There are ultrasonic flow meters you can mount outside a pipe, but I don't know how accurate they are, especially at low flow rates.

The ultrasonic method is tried and true but as you clearly stated they can not provide data for low draw conditions. The method Water Hero is using is proven and there is no magic to it and it measures the movement of the dial. Exactly as you're charged by the water company so the data is extremely accurate.

Ultrasonic measuring also is impacted by the thickness of the pipe, material, and corrosion. None of these issues are present using the Water Hero method as it simply monitors the dial spinning away.

Bottom line, if the dial spins on the water meter no matter how much. That means water is in use and the system will register it and translate that data into information a person can act upon.  

Back