Water Level / Detection pcb

Forgive my complete ignorant inquiries...but for water detection, couldn't you just use 2 bare wires? Or is corrosion the concern?

For that matter, couldn't you take a spare magnetic reed switch, stick the magnet into a block of styrofoam and put the whole thing somewhere out of the way, and accomlish the same thing?

Using a float switch near the sump pump, don't you need to be concerned that the suction of the pump might hold onto the float (for cases where the pump is running, but isn't keeping up) and keep it below water? Granted, it's hard to sink a float...

Hi

Using DC will corrode the probes...you need to use ac .....

Frank

H i Guys

Sorry for the delay....I didnt think there was much interest so i didnt hurry to report back as i wanted to finish the project where im using the waterlevel boards....

When i recieved my pcbs i quickly whipped one together to try ...the led indicators worked fine but the relays wouldnt switch ???.... I should have known but didnt realise that the relay is polarity sensitive and i got it wrong ;-(...Thoughts of cutting tracks to make it work didnt really appeal to me .....and it looked like the pcbs were heading for the rubbish bin , then i had a brain storm ;-) ...mount the relays on the back of the pcb (have seen this done on other pcbs) and it worked a treat.....Have had 2 pcbs installed for several weeks and today have got my watertank controller connected to Homevision .....Will put some Photos up soon on photobucket........

Frank

Hey Frank,

Would you be ready to see one of those yet. Seems to be the best solution for me. Actually, depending on price, might just get two.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

I can supply pcb and chip for $10:00(got 5 left) ....You would need to source the other components...The terminals are the most expensive but can be sourced from Mouser in the states..

Part numbers
2 way terminal ....651-1725656
3 way terminal.....651-1725669

Actually looking at Mousers prices the terminals are much cheaper than i can source here in Oz but i dont have the huge postage charge that Mouser charge overseas customers.

If your going to use the pcb for water level detection only 4 relays required...5th relay is for the other mode ie water spillage....(latched mode)

The relays i sourced are from Futurelec see link maybe Mouser also can supply them ??
http://futurlec.com/Relays/DS2Y-S-DC12V.shtml

You need to remember to mount them underneath the pcb
Not sure how much postage to the States is but would be at least $10
HTH
Frank

Hi Chris

I can supply pcb and chip for $10:00(got 5 left) ....You would need to source the other components...The terminals are the most expensive but can be sourced from Mouser in the states..

Part numbers
2 way terminal ....651-1725656
3 way terminal.....651-1725669

Actually looking at Mousers prices the terminals are much cheaper than i can source here in Oz but i dont have the huge postage charge that Mouser charge overseas customers.

If your going to use the pcb for water level detection only 4 relays required...5th relay is for the other mode ie water spillage....(latched mode)

The relays i sourced are from Futurelec see link maybe Mouser also can supply them ??
http://futurlec.com/Relays/DS2Y-S-DC12V.shtml

You need to remember to mount them underneath the pcb
Not sure how much postage to the States is but would be at least $10
HTH
Frank

Frank,

Please PM me to work out details for this transaction.

Thanks

Chris

Back