WaterCop VS ELK-WSV

horstdog

I've been looking at these two options for automated main water shutoff and was wondering if anyone can give me a reason to go with one over the other.
I will be linking with my M1 gold system and set rules to have the main water turn off whenever the system is set to "Away" mode. I might later add some additional water sensors to key areas.
I have read all the posts here which reference both systems but still don't see any real advantage of one over the other.

Thanks

Be careful if you have water off and a hot water heater running for any significant period of time......

The water cop doesn't compaire to the elk. The WC is a 3/4 valve and a small motor. The Elk is a 1" valve and has a much bigger and more powerful motor. You can stick a pencle in the Elk valve and it would chop it in half.

The watercop will not work in a power failure (unless it is on a UPS) but the WSV can have a battery backup on the power supply you use.

I have the watercop since before the WSV was available and it has never given me any problems but if I was doing it now I would pick the WSV that is much better quality. It is money but worth it in my opinion.

Ice maker needs water. Fancy icer makers need a lot of water.

Reverse osmosis water filter may run for a few hours after you stop filling a pot.

Sprinklers?

Ever run the dishwasher or washing machine with nobody home? Some people do.

Maybe a sprinkler?

What about washing your car with a hose, with the alarm armed?

Worthington catalog shows a 1" valve option for the Watercop.

I plan on running it via an APS 500 UPS for battery backup.
(Purchased off e-bay - works fine - I've got my cordless phone system on another)

I also plan on putting the water heater on a UPB relay.
When the Omni turns off the water due to a leak, it'll shuts down the water heater too.

Here is some info I have collected.

Watercop

Quote from manufacturer:
" Thank you for your email. As a well established industrial manufacturer, we make sure the components we use stand up to rigorous conditions. The electric actuator we manufacture for the WaterCop system has been tested to well over a hundred thousand cycles. We are more than confident that this system will handle your planned usage. Additionally, the forged brass valve is rated for 600psi. In fact, we are so confident about the performance of the valve; we've guaranteed it for life. "

Pricing:
Watercop:
WCV ¾ Brass valve ¾”npt $41.35 ea
WCV 1 Brass valve 1”npt $44.55 ea
WCACT1 Actuator for either of above valves $339.50 ea

Total $384.05 CDN
Total with Tax:$434 CDN

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ELK-WSV
$454.99 CDN
Total with Tax: $514 CDN

I'm sure they are both great systems. Even if ELK has more torque do we really need this to turn a simple valve? as long as we exersise the valve on a reguler basis (which we should be doing for both of these) then it should never get "stuck" or develop any mineral build up.

That being said for an extra $80 it might not be a bad idea to get the ELK if it is truly a better system.

Thanks for all your comments

I have the Elk WSV. It has worked flawlessly now for 2 years. My Elk M1G shuts it off 40 minutes after the system has armed away, allowing for the washer or dishwahser to finish. My icemakers have never had a problem. Keep in mind that after you shut the water off, you still get a lot of water when you open a faucet, especially on the first floor of a 2 story. My reverse osmosis filter also works fine. I have on demand hot water heaters, but a tank style water heater would also not have a problem unless you drained it. That is pretty hard to do without opening the valve on the actual tank and opening an air vent to allow for air in. My sprinklers are on a well. If possible, I would put the WSV after a sprinkler branch off if possible and put a separate valve to the sprinkler system.

Also, the WSV can be found for cheaper than listed above. I think I got mine for a little under $400. It is a hardy piece of equipment and can be manually overridden if you need to. And also it can run off the battery (it is low voltage).

Also, the WSV can be found for cheaper than listed above. I think I got mine for a little under $400. It is a hardy piece of equipment and can be manually overridden if you need to. And also it can run off the battery (it is low voltage).

FYI Elk had a price increase sometime in the second half of last year. That is why you paid less for your valve then what it sells for today. It is still well worth the money.

Dam they are selling cheap. Some of their prices are less than I pay over the counter/cash at a local distirbutor when I do installs.

They have ELK-RM for $69 and retail is $149. I paid a lot more than that a few months ago here at a Long Island distributor. http://www.surveillent.net/elkelkrmremotesoftwarefortouchscreensandpcs.aspx

Back