Waterproof Temp Probe

stevendt

Hi,

I would like to get a few waterproof, ideally fully submersible, temperature probes but don't see them available on Hobby Boards. Eric - have you thought about making one ?

I see that EDS in the US make them but they are quite expensive (~40$) and their shipping costs to the UK are prohibitive.

I suppose I could mess around and try to make one myself out of a DS12S20 but would prefer just to buy one if I can pick them up at reasonable cost. What do other do - just make their own or are there such things available ?

regards
Dave

Dave,

Those have been on my to-do list for a while but I haven't gotten that far on my list. Hopefully before the end of the year but I can't promise anything.

Eric

I have waterproofed DS18s20s' successfully by using Plasti Dip (the stuff you dip the handles of tools in). I use in a hottub, and also in a lake.

I assemble the gauge, and then dip it about 4-5 times. The total diameter ends up to be about 3/8 of an inch with all the dippin!

The Plasti Dip costs about $15 but would do more temperature gauges than I'll ever have. I got it at our local hardware store. They have a website at Plasti Dip.

Eric,

thanks for the reply, as it does not sound like one will be available off the shelf soon, I'll probably try to knock one up in the meantime for testing and "upgrade" later if (when !) it fails.

I've not heard of the product that Jeff mentioned (thanks Jeff), but I'm sure that we'll have something similar in the UK - I'll see what's available,

regards
Dave

ps - I suppose it would give Eric an incentive if there was feedback from others if they are likely to purchase ready made units from HB ? What would others look for ? Some ideas . . .

Perhaps a solid probe, say 6" length (a stainless steel tube ?). Overkill ?
OK then, maybe flexible - essentially stuck on the end of the cable ?
Cable type - standard cat5 ? Or a waterproof "special" ?
Cable length ? Say, min 10' with other lengths an option ? Max Length ?
Termination - bare wire/RJ45 ?

Or is everyone happy to make their own ?

I am using a "EI1022" from Labjack....not sure if it would work with your application or not....I added a little silicon on both side for safety.

labjack

I also have built a few of these temp sensors from instructions I found on the Weather-Watch.com website, much less expensive....

I also built a 1-wire waterproof probe using a small plastic tube that the sensor fit in fairly snug, with the head of the sensor sticking out ever so slightly from the end of the tube. Then I coated it with caulk and squeezed more into the tube where the cat5 wire came out to seal it all up. Lasted a three+ years submersed in an outdoor pool in Florida (with all the chemicals) and is now sensing the air temp in my crawlspace.

ctwilliams said:
I am using a "EI1022" from Labjack....not sure if it would work with your application or not....I added a little silicon on both side for safety.

labjack

I also have built a few of these temp sensors from instructions I found on the Weather-Watch.com website, much less expensive....
Anychance of a link to the instructions, please?

I built a water proof probe using an old "Biro" tube, sealed with glue and heatshrink, 2 years so far so good.

Back